Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Tony Packo's Hot Dogs - make your request now!

by Melissa Richards-Person » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:35 am

Hey everyone!

Tom and I will be heading up to Toledo for Christmas, so I will be taking a cooler with me, and loading up as many Packo's dogs as I can. Since some on the forum STILL talk about those dogs from our party 2 years ago...I thought I'd make the offer to bring them back for those of you who are jonesing. I will ask my parents how much a pack costs, as it's been about a year since I bought them, but the dogs come 5 to a pack. Let me know - I'll confirm with you via PM closer to the end of December.

Happy weekend before Thanksgiving!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Tony Packo's Hot Dogs - make your request now!

by Gayle DeM » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:05 am

Hey, Melissa! I'm in. There is nothing like the real thing.

That being said, until after Christmas, I'll manage to get by with the Smoked Cranberry & Cognac Chicken Sausage from the deli case at Fresh Market. It's nothing like the real thing, :wink: but it does manage to fill my need for a sausage fix.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 am

Jungle Jims sells the packaged Tony Packos dogs...don't know if they are the same, but I got some of the Hungarian Hot Dogs and they were great. Even better, but I've been unable to find it at Jungle Jims since is the CaJohns Jolokia X-treme Fiery smokes sausages. They are made with the hottest pepper in the word, the bhut jolokia, but they didn't sacrifice taste for heat.
no avatar
User

Steve Saks

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Eastern Louisville - Polo Fields

by Steve Saks » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 am

I've never heard of Tony Packo's Hot Dogs. Can someone enlighten me? Sure, I could check out their website (I already have), but I would prefer an opinion from a fellow foodie.

My search continues for Sabrett dogs....with the skin. I can buy the skinless ones from the Hot Dog cart in front of Lowes on Browsboro, but I want the skinned dogs.

Thanks,

Steve
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Tony Packo's was brought to the "headlines" by Jamie Farr or better known as Corp. Maxwell Klinger of M*A*S*H Fame. He used to get care packages from Tony Packo's as well as the Teledo Mun Hens. This is a must go to place if your ever in the Teledo Area
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 pm

A trip to Jungle Jims with a stop at Hofbrauhaus in Newport (before and/or after) would be a fun trip.
no avatar
User

Steve Saks

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Saks » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Annemarie, thanks for the info, but I've seen that site and disagree (strongly!!) with paying $60+ shipping for a $30 package of Dogs.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:32 pm

I just checked out NewYorkFlavor website, and I have to agree with you on that one, Steve. The cost of the freight could easily get me to Jungle Jim's for the Packo dogs. Then to top it off, NewYork Flavor uses FedEx. I try always to use UPS.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:10 pm

annemarie m wrote:hi steve, i agree $60.00 is a bit steep for shipping a few packages of hot dogs. i got them down on their shipping when i ranted it cost more to ship then the product itself! they were accomodating and gave me a half off shipping discount. never hurts to ask, worse case they can say no. i need my sabrett fix from time to time.. lol

Doesn't one of the Home Depots way out East - maybe the one near Corbett's and the new Norton hospital - have a Sabrett's cart out front?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
annemarie m wrote:hi steve, i agree $60.00 is a bit steep for shipping a few packages of hot dogs. i got them down on their shipping when i ranted it cost more to ship then the product itself! they were accomodating and gave me a half off shipping discount. never hurts to ask, worse case they can say no. i need my sabrett fix from time to time.. lol

Doesn't one of the Home Depots way out East - maybe the one near Corbett's and the new Norton hospital - have a Sabrett's cart out front?

Robin, I believe it's the Lowes by Norton's and Corbett's.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Doogy R wrote:Robin, I believe it's the Lowes by Norton's and Corbett's.

Home Depot, Lowe's, same difference, isn't it? ;)
no avatar
User

Steve Saks

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Saks » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:50 pm

You are correct, there is a Hot Dog cart at the Lowes on Browsboro Rd and he does sell Sabrett dogs....though they are skinless. The dogs in the skin have that nice snap to 'em...
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Sorry - I've been sick with that nasty winter cold and away from the forum. For the uninitiated, those who have posted about Tony Packo's gaining fame from Jamie Farr's (real name - Jameel Farah - my mother went to Woodward HS with him, and yes, I have her yearbook to prove it) promotion on M*A*S*H are correct.

However, the actual recipes at Packo's are almost 3 generations old, and the original restaurant is in an area known for many years for it's Eastern European roots. The restaurant features real Hungarian Goulash, Chicken Paprikas, Stuffed Cabbage (my favorite) and other really good "stick to your ribs" food. They became known for their dogs, which are really sausages, because they took a lot of those Hungarian spices and incorporated them into their sausage mix. The flavor is really unlike anything else - I'm 1/2 Polish, and it's nothing like Kielbasa, and nothing like traditional "smoked sausage." It's unique, but terrific. As much as my hubby and I like Packo dogs, we won't pay to have them shipped either! So, when we're up with family, they're sold at most of the specialty markets around Toledo, and we just get a cooler full and stuff them in the freezer. I didn't know about them being sold at Jungle Jims, but I might give that a stop when we go up to IKEA next.

Hope that gives some background. Looking to Spring, we were talking with Suzi and Richard and mentioned that it's about time for another Packo's party - we have a newly remodeled deck, and we'll have plenty of room for Packo's fans and the uninitiated alike! Let's hope for an April-ish warmup!