Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Todd Pharris wrote:Pizza Hut used to have perfectly acceptable pizza when they had full service restaurants. As soon as they switched to the fast food style places, the quality went straight downhill.

Non-PC as it may be to criticize a major local firm, it seems to me that all the Yum! properties - KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silver's, A&W and Pizza Hut - have gone downhill significantly in recent years.
A few weeks ago, the kids wanted a 'chicken crunchwrap' from Taco Bell. We drove there to get the food, came home, found that the order was wrong. No biggie...sadly , I've gotten used to not expecting my order to come out right from those guys recently. I drive back to the 'Bell', show my receipt (which for some reason, is in a form of English that is not taught to the teenagers that build the 'crunchwraps') ask for the food that I ordered, receive said food and am on my way. Only to get home and find the food sloppily thrown together with an empty 'mild sauce' packet inside of one of the crunchwraps. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted.
I then called the manager of the Bell and talked to her on the phone about my ordeal. She was courteous and seemed genuinely concerned (trust me, I know when it's not sincere). She offered to give me coupons for free food, which I respectfully declined.
It would be nice if a multi-billion dollar empire could somehow find a way to train their employees to do the job that they are paid to do, make food free of empty condiment packets, and maybe even to read.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

Economics of Yum

by johnlannon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:39 am

Matt F wrote:It would be nice if a multi-billion dollar empire could somehow find a way to train their employees to do the job that they are paid to do, make food free of empty condiment packets, and maybe even to read.

It would be nice. But these multi-billion dollar companies would cease to exist if this was the case.

Ideally everyone would do everything right all of the time. However, taco-assemblers are non-vital contributors to the economy. When a corporation pays people between $5-$8 an hour to assemble tacos and clean bathrooms, it's just not worth the investment to screen them or train them thoroughly. These employees are as expendable and disposable as their food products.

Unfortunately for consumers, the average caliber of employee willing to assemble tacos and clean up others people's refuse for $5-$8 an hour has little incentive to perform his job well. If he screws up too much, he gets fired. Then he goes next door where they're willing to pay him $5-$8 to assemble sandwiches.

I doubt there is a single reader of this forum willing to work the line at taco bell for $5-$8 an hour. I'd wager that there are very few who would do it for three times that amount. But, at those wage rates, our enchiritos start to cost a lot more...

Bottom line is, if you want a well-made taco, you've got to shell out more money. Otherwise, you have no choice but to eat what they give you and be grateful for a full belly and full pockets.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

Re: Economics of Yum

by Tina M » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:11 pm

johnlannon wrote:
I doubt there is a single reader of this forum willing to work the line at taco bell for $5-$8 an hour. I'd wager that there are very few who would do it for three times that amount. But, at those wage rates, our enchiritos start to cost a lot more...

I did it for maybe 3 months at $2.85 in the late 1980s. Minimum wage was $3.15, but you could underpay students for some reason. Taco Bell was my first job.

I didn't last long because they never really trained me. They threw me from dish duty to cash register duty with little instruction. I remember the most confusing thing about it was two buttons - one read Beef and the other read Beefy. One was for burritos and the other for enchiladas.

I ended up quitting. And I never eat at Taco Bell, lol.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:55 am

Odd... since in our experience certain Taco Bells consistantly serve correctly assembled food, and others are reliably terrible. Obviously someone is training their employees right, and others are not. *shrug*
Previous