Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Any other Resaurants on the ropes?

no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Any other Resaurants on the ropes?

by MikeG » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 am

With the demise of Melillo's I'm curious are there any other places that are in imminent danger of closing? I know business is down for a lot of places but is there anywhere that's on it's last legs that we may be able to help save?
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Any other Resaurants on the ropes?

by Leah S » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:58 am

Well, until the decision is made, I doubt that they'd post here. All their employees would jump ship to keep a paycheck coming in.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:51 pm

I believe that posting a rumor on the forum would hurt rather that help any restaurant. Not only would the employees become demoralized but even more pressure would be put on the owner. And I've noticed that many of the rumors that I've heard in the last year have been just that- rumors.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:53 pm

MikeG wrote:With the demise of Melillo's I'm curious are there any other places that are in imminent danger of closing? I know business is down for a lot of places but is there anywhere that's on it's last legs that we may be able to help save?

I'm with Gary on this one. I'm for free speech and for covering the local restaurant industry like a glove. But that said, trash-talking local indies in this economic climate would be too much like whacking somebody in the head with an iron pipe from behind.

If we have serious news, let's post it here. But now more than ever, let's take care to check out rumors and to avoid possibly damaging "what if" scenarios before the facts are in.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I wasnt putting this out to start rumors as damage. I was putting it out in hopes of maybe an owner wanted to step up and say that they are on their last legs. As I stated I'd like to help avoid another demise like Melillo's.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:02 pm

MikeG wrote:I wasnt putting this out to start rumors as damage. I was putting it out in hopes of maybe an owner wanted to step up and say that they are on their last legs. As I stated I'd like to help avoid another demise like Melillo's.

I'll buy that approach, Mike, but I like the clarification: I don't think we as consumers ought to be posting anything that could be construed as "Joe's Eats is on the ropes right now."

But sure, if an owner or chef is willing to step up to the plate and say, "Hey, gang, things are tough for us right now and we could really use your support," I think that would be well received. I'm not sure how many folks would be comfortable doing that, but absolutely we're open to them.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:03 pm

MikeG wrote:I wasnt putting this out to start rumors as damage. I was putting it out in hopes of maybe an owner wanted to step up and say that they are on their last legs. As I stated I'd like to help avoid another demise like Melillo's.

Mike, your intentions are well noted on this end, however, I must agree......If I were in the biz, and about to hold up my hand with a big 3 fingers sticking up, I would be a bit cautious about it until it actually happened.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I would expect that there will be some closings after the holidays. Places on the ropes now can still make money during the holidays, but Jan/Feb will be tough as usual.

The current economy is difficult for all business, not just restaurants. When people get nervous, spending on things that are not necessary take a hit. I know of a couple of places that are having trouble, but publicizing them makes it self fulfilling.

Unfortunately, the McDonald's (yuk) of the world are the ones who win.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Plus, I've always been told that you never, ever let on that you are stuggling. "You are as busy as you've ever been until the day you lock the doors" is the mantra I was told. Customers flee a dying restaurant like rats on a sinking ship, not to mention the employee evacuation.

I too would love to help out struggling restaurants in these dire days, but the best way to do so is to just keep eating at your favorite spots, big and small.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:33 pm

I agree with Ronnie- admitting you are struggling can be a death knell. Employees leave immediately as they typically have no savings padding nor severance coming . I also believe a lot of customers aren't comfortable coming to a food place knowing they ae potentially going out of business- I think the assumption is you might get less than quality or past-date product from people who no longer care. We told our employees days before we closed (and gave severance) but were extremely uncomfortable telling customers in advance .

Deb
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:37 am

Sadly I think lots of places may disappear after the holidays. We have been to quite a few places lately and the smell of death is in the air. We hit a place last night about 7:00 & we were the only customers. Sad!
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:43 am

We had dinner on Franfort Avenue last night and it looked like all the restaurants were packing them in. Lot's of traffic and no parking....typical Frankfort Ave. weekend evening. In fact I commented to my wife as we were driving that you couldn't tell there was a recession in Creasent Hill/Clifton.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:35 am

Yeah, but that Frankfort Ave. scene can be spotty. I've seen similar Friday nights (last week for instance) where it was much more sparse. I think that may be a sign of the new norm, busy or slow, but a weakening consistency.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:00 pm

I'm not sure I am in the business of "saving other businesses." From my perspective, the best thing I can do it to support those establishments I already support while also being willing to take a risk on something new. Obviously, with tough economic times, this can be ....[wait for it]... tough. If I am cutting back my dining out, my want is to go to the places I already know because 1) I miss them, 2) I'm sure such places could use my business and 3) I'm confident in the product served. But what happens when I'm eating out less but also want to try someplace new? As money is tight, I'll be extra disappointed if I have a bad experience, and I'll know that I didn't support a favorite (which could need my support).

It's really an endless cycle that doesn't even include the idea of "saving businesses." What if I go out of my way to save one business at the expense of that old trusty favorite down the road?

Luckily (at least for me), I choose to focus on the bigger picture. The key is to continue to put money into the economy in the ways that I choose, which for me means supporting local indies. I can't support them all and even the ones I support may go belly up. Seems like all the recent economic talk forgets that the one item that keeps any (mostly) free market running is risk. For places like indies, who don't have the pleasure of possible government buyouts, the risk is greater now more than ever. Other than a $15 entree here and there and some word-of-mouth advertising, there's little I can do to right the ship.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.