Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Turducken special all weekend at Varanese

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm told that Varanese Chef John Varanese offered his version of Turducken at a wine dinner earlier this week, repeated it as a special last night, and the response has been so good that he's making it the special all weekend.

Turducken, if you don't know it, is a Cajun treat, a duck stuffed into a chicken stuffed into a turkey. Entree price for the weekend special: $22.
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

Re: Turducken special all weekend at Varanese

by Steve Cecil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 am

Paging John Madden, paging John Madden. You're wanted at the courtesy Turducken table... :wink:
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Turbaconducken

Wow. I'm speechless.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Alright....took the wife and son to Varanese tonight for Turducken. We started off in the bar with cocktails and then to our table after a 20-25 minute wait. We ordered the lamb empanadas....wow these were exquisite. The yogurt sauce complemented the lamb in a rather obvious, but wonderful, way. Salads were a Ceaser like affair with extra anchovies and a combination of heirloom tomatos, mozerella, and a cucumber vinigarette. Top notch all the way.

We all had the turducken and were not dissapointed. The dressing between meat layers was wonderful as was the gravy and cranberry sauce. The butternut squash was tender and got lost a bit in the mix, but was none the less an appropritate side for the harvest season. We all had some fowl to take home. We had a really fruity and ripe 2002 Mantanzas Creek Syrah ($58) that complemented the food wonderfully.

Dessert between my wife and son was a tasty creme brulle and a peach crepe affair. I had a coffee drink.

We arrived about 7:00 on a Friday night and the place was cooking. As noted about a 20 minute wait with no reservation.

Charlie was our waiter and did a fantastic job! Total bill $185 plus a $40 tip. Thanks to all at Varanese for starting our Thanksgiving Season off with a bang! There were absolutely no issues at all with our meal. A stunning value IMO.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:54 am

Mark Head wrote:Alright....took the wife and son to Varanese tonight for Turducken.

Hey, we were there too, and so was Stephen D! Didn't see you, though ... you must not really look like your avatar. :roll:

Good descriptions of the scene (it WAS cookin'!) and the food. I was surprised to find that John's take on turducken is a smaller version made by rolling up breast meats rather than roasting three whole stuffed fowl, but as he said when he came around to the tables, it's the only way to turn out a lot of it to order ... and the taste was bodacious.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:38 am

Robin Garr wrote:Hey, we were there too, and so was Stephen D! Didn't see you, though ... you must not really look like your avatar. :roll:

Nawww..... I was the middle aged bald guy! 8)