Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Melillo's

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Melillo's

by RonnieD » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Truly, truly sad news. You will be missed dearly and we will be in before the end of the year, one last time. :cry:

AAARGHHH! Will this economy kill all the places I love to eat! :x
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:18 am

How do you say good-bye to the place where you shared your first real date with your now-husband? We're very sad to see you go, and will certainly be in before the end of the year. I can hear rice balls and chicken parm calling my name all the way over here in Germantown.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:07 am

Michelle ... I am very sad ... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

In the meantime, I'll do my part to make your remaining days better. Who's up for an offline at Melillo's?
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 am

Sorry to hear about that. I enjoyed lunch at Mels often. Wow the East Market St business implosion continues.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:29 am

This makes me very unhappy. My girlfriend and I will be in before closing to enjoy the food one last time.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 am

Joel Halblieb wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I enjoyed lunch at Mels often. Wow the East Market St business implosion continues.

Worse, this is the first East Market loss that can clearly be attributed to the economy and not to other factors.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:54 am

Seems the East Market corridor has never been a regular destination spot, but I wonder how much it has become less of a destination with changes in the way people use cars. Research has shown that people reduced their driving when gas was $4+ and such reductions seem to be continuing although prices have fallen. Obviously, such reductions are also connected to the fact that people just don't have the extra money to put in the tank. So if there's a restaurant located in an area that includes very few households to which the restaurant is aimed, isn't there a financial double-whammy at work in that people, short on money, 1) have to pay not only for the meal but also 2) the gas that transports them to and from the meal?

My claim might be flawed in regards to the more recent reduction in gas prices, although it would seem that the higher gas prices from earlier this year significantly contributed to the drop in business at Melillo's.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

So sorry to hear. We were big fans, and I was hoping Melillo's was an anchor for the E. Market area.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 am

Matthew D wrote:Seems the East Market corridor has never been a regular destination spot, but I wonder how much it has become less of a destination with changes in the way people use cars. Research has shown that people reduced their driving when gas was $4+ and such reductions seem to be continuing although prices have fallen. Obviously, such reductions are also connected to the fact that people just don't have the extra money to put in the tank. So if there's a restaurant located in an area that includes very few households to which the restaurant is aimed, isn't there a financial double-whammy at work in that people, short on money, 1) have to pay not only for the meal but also 2) the gas that transports them to and from the meal?

My claim might be flawed in regards to the more recent reduction in gas prices, although it would seem that the higher gas prices from earlier this year significantly contributed to the drop in business at Melillo's.

I think that is a pretty good analysis. Even if people have money the general sense of anxiety has made them more frugal in terms of luxuries. To many people, if not most, eatting out is a luxury.

There is no question that as the economy continues to contract businesses that are in sub-optimal locations will suffer first. While I hope I'm wrong, more indy closings may be the new norm for a while.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Joel Halblieb wrote:Sorry to hear about that. I enjoyed lunch at Mels often. Wow the East Market St business implosion continues.

Yeah it's definitely looking grim in this part of town. Not happy about it at all.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 pm

No...Michelle, where will we go? It's like a death in the family. My heart is heavy today.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:38 pm

oh, no! That is SO sad! Hubby and I have been dying to get out and try the food since hearing how good it was, and since Ferd's closed. Guess we'll have to hurry it up. So, so sorry, Michele. I can't imagine how heartbroken you and your staff must be. :(
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:33 pm

This is sad news, indeed. The demise of so many wonderful independants is a terrible loss for the city, especially a city that prides itself on a bustling restaurant scene.
I know that all of us in the forum are informed about what is going on- I wonder if the public at large knows? This seems like a hook for a good local news story that might get the rest of Louisville involved in saving our businesses. Heaven knows something needs to be done.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 pm

GaryF wrote:This is sad news, indeed. The demise of so many wonderful independants is a terrible loss for the city, especially a city that prides itself on a bustling restaurant scene.
I know that all of us in the forum are informed about what is going on- I wonder if the public at large knows? This seems like a hook for a good local news story that might get the rest of Louisville involved in saving our businesses. Heaven knows something needs to be done.

The main story in LEO's Dining Guide from a few weeks back covered the topic (excellently, by Marsha), and the C-J ran a story about a week later on the same topic. I have no idea whether any local TV stations have covered it, I don't really watch local TV news. Top Chef, basketball, football and Dexter are about the only things on at my house.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 pm

I am so sorry. We are planning to come in this week. We'll come in tonight Have a recent certificate in my possession.
PreviousNext