Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Melillo's

User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Melillo's

by Marsha L. » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Joel H wrote:The main story in LEO's Dining Guide from a few weeks back covered the topic (excellently, by Marsha), and the C-J ran a story about a week later on the same topic.

Joel - thanks! It was hard to get quotes from folks about business being slow. Nobody wants to admit to that, it just makes people think you're on your last legs. Luckily, Dave Clancy gave me some great quotes, and I also had help from Christopher Stockton at Jackson's Organic Coffee and Andrew Hutto from Baxter Station.
Also, big ups to Robin and to Stephen George (LEO Editor) for letting me do the big piece in the Dining Guide.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Marsha L. wrote:
Joel H wrote:The main story in LEO's Dining Guide from a few weeks back covered the topic (excellently, by Marsha), and the C-J ran a story about a week later on the same topic.

Joel - thanks! It was hard to get quotes from folks about business being slow. Nobody wants to admit to that, it just makes people think you're on your last legs. Luckily, Dave Clancy gave me some great quotes, and I also had help from Christopher Stockton at Jackson's Organic Coffee and Andrew Hutto from Baxter Station.
Also, big ups to Robin and to Stephen George (LEO Editor) for letting me do the big piece in the Dining Guide.
By the way, nice job Marsha!! Sorry to hear that Melillos will also be a casualty of our wretched economy. What really sucks is my crystal ball says it is only going to get much, much worse (hate to be the voice of doom and gloom but I am also unemployed and it's getting increasingly competetive out there). It's not so much that people are not dining out as much, but the rational behind it that really counts. There is a "hunker down" mentality that is growing every day the Dow slides to record lows and "big business" goes into the tank, almost like how everyone runs to the Walmart every time it snows.......gonna be long bumpy ride for sure...buckle up!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:10 pm

I am heartbroken over this news. Truly one of my favorite spots in town will be gone, and that is going to be a loss that will be felt by me and many friends. The "family" vibe makes Melillo's one-of-a-kind, and the food kept us coming back through the years. So, so sad.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Michelle,

As you know, I am heartbroken that a member of my "family" is struggling like this. I will personally take it upon myself to fight this, and see if I can't help keep one of Louisville's gems open for good.
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:27 pm

Melillo's is one of my absolute favorite places in town. I have many good memories there. I'll miss the rice balls and eggplant parm.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 am

I regret that I didn't see the latest Leo dining issue- I was away when it came out and my friend forgot to pick one up for me. I'm glad to see the issue is being addressed in the local press.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:40 am

GaryF wrote:I regret that I didn't see the latest Leo dining issue- I was away when it came out and my friend forgot to pick one up for me. I'm glad to see the issue is being addressed in the local press.

Gary, go to the http://www.LouisvilleHotBytes.com front page and scroll down a few weeks, and you'll find a link to Marsha's story, and mine and Kevin Gibson's, and all the other articles in this year's "LEO Recession-Proof Dining Guide."
User

Laura B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Miami, Florida

by Laura B » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 am

Michele, Forrest and Ashley:
We are sooo soooo sad to hear of the closing of Melillo's. :cry: :cry: :cry: We will especially miss our favorite appetizer in town, the rice balls. We'll definitely be in (a couple of times, we hope) before the end of the year.
The Bevarlys
When in doubt, add more wine.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 pm

My chest just tightened. Such a wonderful little restaurant. Making a reservation for tomorrow as soon as lunch slows for four people that really love Melillo's.
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:58 pm

This is so very sad. Mike and I will definitely stop in for lunch tomorrow. I've been trying to get him in there for a little taste of heaven. As transplanted NY'er, this has been a treat for me each time, as it is the best Italian food I've tasted since I can remember when!! Mike is a rice ball fanatic & has yet to find one that matches his beloved ones from Gino's in Howard Beach, Queens. Pretty sure he'll be over the moon after he gets one tomorrow!

Michele
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm so sorry, Michele. My husband and I enjoyed your place very much.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:38 pm

'Cooking from the heart' should be the mantra of any great chef...
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:28 am

Today is the last day for lunch at Melillo's.......get it while you can!!!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Just finished my last lunch from Melillo's. I couldn't help but being overcome with sadness as I sat and waited for our office's to-go order. How can[ this place be closing. I didn't eat there every week or anything but I ate there often enough to really appreciate their food and their atmosphere. Everyone is so friendly, and the food is just great! I think part of the reason I was so sad today is because I realized that no one is immune from these hard times. I wondered which of my other favorite places were struggling even while seeming to be ok from the outside looking in. I'm not in the biz but I've heard enough of you say that the early winter months could easily bring more closings based on normal business cycles combining with the economic challenges. I hope you are wrong. Sorry, to be a downer today. Just made me sad we are losing this place and sad I can't make it to the offline. THanks to the whole crew at melillo's for wonderful dining experience! You are much appreciated.
Kris
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:44 pm

We had lunch at Melillos today also. I'm incrediably sad also and sooo hate to lose them. Where am I gonna get Eggplant Parm? (Not just any ol Eggplant Parm, either.)
Previous