Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Credit Card Etiquette

no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Credit Card Etiquette

by Rebecca Clark » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Here's the scenario ...

I called in a carry-out order to an indie place that will remain nameless; upon arrival (15 minutes later), the order hadn't been started. Was instructed to sit at the bar and they would rush it. There were only three other tables with customers at the time. Within a minute, one of the servers brought me the charge ticket and took my credit card. She disappeared for close to seven minutes (I timed it) with my card. As my blood pressure began to rise, I finally walked up to the counter with the cash register to ask about my card and saw it lying unattended on a counter in full view of anyone walking by ... and with a bit of a stretch, could have easily been taken. The server was back in the kitchen and had left my card unattended for God knows how long. The other server that brought me my order then handed me my credit card, along with my food. She offered no explanation as to why the card was left unattended.

OK ... what would your response have been? Would you say something about the unattended credit card or not? Is leaving a card on an unattended counter top common practice? What would you have done about a tip?

I'll post what I did after I see the responses.

Thanks.
Rebecca
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: Credit Card Etiquette

by Matthew D » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Was talking to my mom earlier and she said someone had come into possession of her CC number. She's thinking it was lifted by a worker at a local restaurant. My parents, especially my father, are very proactive in regards to bringing such issues to the attention of the establishment in question. I don't know what my father (or mother) told the manager, but I would have been sure to report the name of the server as it is found on the receipt.

I think it's a similar principle at work as in regards to academic dishonesty, something I know about. Reporting plagiarism through the official channels is important, many claim, because it introduces a paper trail. Universities can then focus significant penalties on repeat offenses. I would think the same is true of CC issues, including even those instances when nothing happens with the number. Leaving someone's financial information out in the open is just poor business practice, so such action needs to be reported to management.

As for a tip, I would not have left one, as the server did not provide satisfactory service in the least. The tip though would be the least of my worries. I'd want to speak to management. While servers may be lax about protecting a customer's financial identity, I don't think management would take the issue seriously.

I didn't wait tables for long, but I can't remember a single time where I was separated from a CC I was to be in possession of, other than when I handed it over to a manager for reasons such as gift card purchases.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 pm

I worked for 8 years in the CC processing industry. Servers (and restaurants) were a major source of fraud. Where else does your credit card disappear for minutes? The internet thefts were much, much lower. They make hand-held card swipers that can trap the data in seconds - several people from our building had problems after visiting a popular place on Preston. We called it Cash-Only after that. :lol:

The Feds came in and arrested a ring of people using the swipers to generate new cards.

It's a very small percentage of servers, though. I never worry about it, because I never use a debit card. The CC companies will pay for all fraud now if you report it right away. You're screwed if it's a debit card - it might be months before the bank puts your money back, if ever. I see absolutely no advantages to debit cards, unless you can't manage your money and pay off the bill at the end of the month.
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:46 am

My wife had her purse stolen and a debit card used for tvs and food. The bank replaced the money the next day.
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:02 am

My cousin recently had her CC number /identity stolen after dining at a local restaurant. She knows it happened at that specific location because it was the ONLY place her card ever left her hands. Making matters worse, when she went back to the restaurant to let them know they may have a problem employee working there, management got very nasty with her. Her number was used to pay for hotel rooms and jewlery all over the country.
If anyone else has had this happen to them recently, please PM me. I think if we see a pattern here it needs to be posted. Especially if the restaurant management was as unhelpful as this one was.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:20 am

Wes P wrote:My wife had her purse stolen and a debit card used for tvs and food. The bank replaced the money the next day.

It's also a very good idea to use a local bank like Eclipse (for example). Talk to the bank officer right here who is your neighbor, or talk to a functionary in a customer-service room in Pittsburgh ... or Bangalore? You decide ...
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am

I don't understand why they (the banks) don't change the process to match how it is done in Europe. While in Ireland recently, and as I was told the rest of the EU, I noticed that the card never leaves your hand. The server brings a wireless card-reader to the table and your check is on the screen. You enter a tip, swipe your card and enter your PIN, signatures are not used. It produces a paper receipt and you are good to go.

It just seems that would eliminate a ton of different scenarios where your card or your number could be stolen.

David
David O.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 am

Irish Rover was testing those handheld credit card machines for a while. We thought they were great! Sadly we're back to the hand over your card method again.
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:50 am

David O. wrote:I don't understand why they (the banks) don't change the process to match how it is done in Europe. While in Ireland recently, and as I was told the rest of the EU, I noticed that the card never leaves your hand. The server brings a wireless card-reader to the table and your check is on the screen. You enter a tip, swipe your card and enter your PIN, signatures are not used. It produces a paper receipt and you are good to go.

It just seems that would eliminate a ton of different scenarios where your card or your number could be stolen.

David

When we tried to roll out the wireless machines, the main resistance seemed to be the cost to the merchant. The units were rentals and a LOT more than the regular land-line models.

I had some issues with the encryption used in the wireless connection, but VISA/MC/AMEX apparently didn't. As long as the losses are a small enough percentage of the business, using WEP for the transmissions was OK.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:14 am

Leah s wrote:Irish Rover was testing those handheld credit card machines for a while. We thought they were great! Sadly we're back to the hand over your card method again.

Leah's comment forced me to remember that I was part of a handheld rollout at Tumbleweed. God, what a miserable experience that was. I'll save the details, but the handheld units were part of a bigger food runner system they were trying to implement. I worked at the "official guinea pig" location, so it was our job to work all the kinks out. I haven't stepped foot in a Tumbleweed since the day I quit (April 2005), so I don't know what ever came of that plan.

The main problems I remember with the units were maintaining a wireless connection and getting the card readers to work.

I also ran into a different type of handheld unit at Molly Malone's awhile back (2 years ago or so). I can't remember if the waitress was using the unit for ordering, but I do remember signing my name on a screen, much like you would do at Walgreen's. The two complaints I had with this experience were 1) major disruption to the table conversation and 2) the software program had pre-programmed tip options. There really wasn't an option that fit my desired tip, so I went with the lower one. I think the default was at 15%. I told the waitress she would have received a bigger tip if I could write it in myself, and I told the management the same. The waitress did mention the "card never leaves the table" reason for use. Seemed goofy though to possibly stiff the wait staff in the name of credit card security. Haven't been back to Molly's since then, so I don't know what happened with that plan either.
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:05 am

carla griffin wrote:My cousin recently had her CC number /identity stolen after dining at a local restaurant. She knows it happened at that specific location because it was the ONLY place her card ever left her hands. Making matters worse, when she went back to the restaurant to let them know they may have a problem employee working there, management got very nasty with her. Her number was used to pay for hotel rooms and jewlery all over the country.
If anyone else has had this happen to them recently, please PM me. I think if we see a pattern here it needs to be posted. Especially if the restaurant management was as unhelpful as this one was.

The card does not have to leave your hand to have your info stolen. It happened to me with a new account! I hardly ever used the card & used only at a couple of major retailers. Next thing i know I get a call from bank security wanting to verify the purchase of a t shirt in germany, and airline flight in Estonia(sp?).

Does anyone know about those fast pass kind of cards that you just tap on the card reader? I have read that the RFID chips can be scanned by handheld reader with out your knowledge?
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:08 am

It's a very small percentage of servers, though. I never worry about it, because I never use a debit card. The CC companies will pay for all fraud now if you report it right away. You're screwed if it's a debit card - it might be months before the bank puts your money back, if ever. I see absolutely no advantages to debit cards, unless you can't manage your money and pay off the bill at the end of the month.

I don't know that this is entirely true. I was pickpocketed in Madrid 7 years ago while on vacation, and my bank refunded the money and sent me a new card the next day.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 am

Bill R wrote:Does anyone know about those fast pass kind of cards that you just tap on the card reader? I have read that the RFID chips can be scanned by handheld reader with out your knowledge?

Depending on the type an RFID chip can have a range of up to about 12 inches! That means if somebody had a detector and you have the card with the chip in your pocket or purse they could theoretically read it as you walked by them. Fortunately very few cards with RFID chips exist but as their numbers increase so will this type of thievery.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:42 am

Retailers are having a heckuva time securing credit card transactions. Earlier this year Hannaford, one of our local grocery chains, experienced theft of an estimated 4.2 million credit and debit card numbers, and customers swipe their own cards for purchases. The numbers were somehow stolen when they were transmitted for verification. As a result, our credit card companies automatically canceled our old cards and re-issued new ones. Besides the actual thefts, you can imagine how costly that was.

So I guess the safest is to pay with cash, but then you leave yourself open to strong-arm theft.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Joel H wrote:

I don't know that this is entirely true. I was pickpocketed in Madrid 7 years ago while on vacation, and my bank refunded the money and sent me a new card the next day.

My gf was pickpocketed in Madrid. Lots of trouble to get it all settled, but she had all the money credited back to her debit account.

Earlier this year she also had her debit card number lifted at a RedBox rental station (part of a larger scam it seems). Lead to purchases in Alabama and Georgia, which she was credited. Most debit cards are now attached to some major credit company (Visa, Mastercard), so it is easier to get fraudulent charges removed.

OK easier might not be the right word. let's say, it's likely that fraudulent charges will be removed.
Next