Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Small Times Bakery

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Small Times Bakery

by Kris Billiter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Just wanted to give some props to the crew over at Small Times. I have become an all too frequent regular there and love their stuff. I think they have my favorite blueberry cake donut in the city, great bagels (including their tomato basil which is the best bagel I've had), and a variety of other stuff that never ceases to surprise. For example, right now they have "cinn-fuls" which are little mini pastries filled with a cinnamon mixture and topped with a glaze. THey are 3 for $1 and they are AMAZING! Then on Sunday I stopped to get donuts for my kids at church and they had samples of sausage stuffed pretzel bread!!! I already thought they pretzel bread was great, but now they are adding sausage and I think a ham version too! Anyway, I just thought it would be good to send a little recognition their way. Great job guys!

Kris
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: Small Times Bakery

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:40 pm

LOVE them!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Bert Baker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 pm

by Bert Baker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm

We used them when I worked at Caffe Perusa. Used the pretzel bread as a crouton for the Beer Cheese soup.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:50 am

The place is great.

My dentist is in the same little strip, so I bring some of the treats to them. Just what I need .. more sweets on the way to or from the dentist. I notice that all of stuff is gone quickly.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

by Jim Greenbrier » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 am

Hello All,

With all the praise, I hope their prices give them a decent, fair, profit margin.....However, IMO, they have a long way to go to be even nearly comparable to Plehns; also, their breads not close to Blue Dog s.

Makes you wonder why they pulled out of the long planned Norton Commons and the beautiful building built for them....

JJG III
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:51 am

I love her cupcakes and they're huge! I think her prices are more than reasonable. As far as comparing them to Phehns, well, I love Phehns too, but for other things. I guess every baker has their specialties that they excel at. Still, because of their great doughnuts, pretzel bread, pastries and very reasonable prices, I go out of my way to go to Small Times. What I hate doing , and have done so at other bakeries, is pay an outrageous price for a fairly simple, so-so product.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:38 am

I agree with you, Carla! I like the different range of products, unique flavors of doughnut (banana split!?) and the fact that the location off of Taylorsville Road is right down the street from my house. Reasonable prices, great stuff, and I don't have to go out of my way. I've had Plehn's cakes before, and they were too sweet and grainy for my tastes. The cakes at Small Times have just the right texture, and the frosting has just enough sweetness for me. Why wouldn't I go there?
Last edited by Michelle R. on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:12 am

Where is Small Times located? Thanks for the tip.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 am

2956 Richland Ave
Louisville, KY 40220
(502) 451-5472
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 pm

In the strip center along the side where Baskin Robins is.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost