Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Beer serving sizes

by Rob Coffey » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Ryan B wrote:I think the US version of a "pint" is the de facto serving size for draft beer. Typically that's the ubiquitous 14oz shaker glass. That said, I'm not at all displeased if I am served a smaller portion for a beer that is of higher than typical strength.

And while I'm at it, please get rid of all those frozen glasses!

I dont mind the smaller portion if they are upfront about it. Roger, for example, always has "10 oz" or whatever on the chalk board. If you call your serving size a "pint" the glass better hold at least 16 ozs.

Also, ditto on the frozen glasses. I dont need to sink the Titanic in my beer.
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Beer serving sizes

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm

We use US pint glasses at Ray's. No apologies. It is a pint afterall (16 oz).

The glasses are cheap, durable, and easy to stack (all strong benefits).

I had some imperial glasses in the good old days at Nimbus Brewery in Tucson (my brother sent me a couple boxes from England where he was living). They were cool, but all broke before too long.

The 20 oz imperial is obviously more beer than the 16 oz US pint, and should be priced accordingly. The smaller serving size lets us keep prices quite low, which many of our customers appreciate.

Anyone selling 14 oz as a pint is a scammer, and should be told they are such. It is fraud after all.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Previous