Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cafe Beignet

no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Cafe Beignet

by Jackie R. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:30 am

Did a little search to make sure I'm not carrying on about something that has had it's run, and all that came up was a mention of it. I went there for brunch last Sunday and haven't shut up about it since.

To begin with, Cafe Beignet is the Fish House on Barrett and Oak/Winter, sans fish and fries and sub breakfast on the weekends until 1pm. Perfectly uncomplicated and streamlined menu of omelettes, andouille sausages, potato cakes and beignet's. I hadn't had a beignet in a long time time, and I never really cared for them before, but I took one bite to amuse my companion and couldn't stop.

But let's talk atmosphere. What IS it about that place that makes me feel sooo comfortable. All the windows, simple decor, classic design, friendliness and total aptitude of the staff, cool vibes of a loaded dining room. I fell a little in love with the place on a Sunday morning.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Cafe Beignet

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:44 am

Part of it may be that the Fish House owner, David Hilsenrad, has been in the restaurant biz for years as has his father, uncle and brother. It seems appropriate that his son would come along into the biz as well. If anyone knows the hows, whys, and everything else about making a restaurant work it's those guys.
I've heard those Beignets are to die for!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:27 pm

I'd put those beignets up against Cafe du Monde any day. What's more is there are menu items that I've only seen in the bayou. Someone knows their stuff in there.
no avatar
User

Jesse Hendrix-Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Schnitzelburg

by Jesse Hendrix-Inman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm

The potato cakes are amazing with applesauce. Also, the eggin the hole is very good. One of these days I'm going to have breakfast at Cafe Beignet and lunch at J. Gumbo's on Frankfort Ave. and pretend I'm in NOLA for the day.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Jackie,

Sounds great! So glad you brought it up- this one was not on my radar screen.

What would you think about bringing kids? Also, are they breakfast only?

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Oh definitely bring the kids. The breakfast I know for sure is Saturday til 12pm and Sunday til 1pm. I can't say when they begin selling the regular Fish House menu, but I think they're open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. It's a fun spot, Deb, check it out.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Jackie,

I know I could search myself, but I also know you won't mind :) : where exactly is it?

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:33 pm

No prob, Deb. It's at the corner of Winter/Oak (where winter becomes Oak after it changes from Grinstead) and Barrett Ave. Think Monkey wrench, Barret Bar, and Lynn's Paradise. Bon Appetit!
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 pm

It's right around the corner from my old apartment. I've gone up there multiple times for lunch with coworkers, but when I've had friends crashing at my place in the past I've always walked (stumbled) over to Cafe Beignet for breakfast on Sunday. It's always been great, and everyone I've taken there has loved it.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks, guys! I think I'll have to drag our teen out of bed this weekend to go...( Our 4 year old has no problem getting up early :lol: )
Deb
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I heard somewhere that they are doing the beignets all day long now. Is this true?
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Jennifer M wrote:I heard somewhere that they are doing the beignets all day long now. Is this true?

Yes it is true. Also I believe you can get their non breakfast items on the weekend starting at 11:00 or 11:30.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin