Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Visit to Sergio's today

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Visit to Sergio's today

by Ellen P » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:13 am

Headed east on 64 to Frankfort for the book fair. People spotted in the crowd or signing books: Bryan Crawford, Bryant Stamford, Roger Mudd, Bobbie Ann Mason, Rick Pitino, Mrs. Hughes (Patrick's mother), James Reston, Jr. Nice size crowd - space too small. Everyone was buying books. I am going to spend more time next year. I hadn't been in several years and forgot how much I enjoy it.
Then back home by way of Shelbyville Road to Sergio's. Yes. We always go toward the back of the restaurant. Plenty of tables in the front. Several of the same people were back there that we saw in there before. Who we also see at the BBC and who we also see at Richo's. One had recently celebrated tasting 100 different beers. (I know have had more than 100 beers because I had 15 one night recently at the BBC.) Anyway, another lovely person even though a UK person, was partaking of his 200th. And he shared just alittle with some of us. We chatted back and forth at the tables. Probably there 3 hours and didn't want to leave. I am thinking about a Sat. beginning at lunch and hanging around through dinner. (Also thinking limo.) Mike had a fajita, I had a steak burrito. German, Colorado, Belgiumbottle and draft beer today. We shared the 5.
Wonderful time. You must go out there. The back room/bar is wonderful. Beer cartons all over the ceiling and walls. Also beer bottles all over the walls and the bar. Enjoy. Be sure to wear your glasses to find the teeny tiny word 'women' on the restroom door.
I would love to see him closer to Louisville. But I would want him to recreate that place. Has anyone been to the Red Bar at Grayton Beach Florida? On a small scale of that. (We finally got one of daughters to join us at Richo's recently. She asked if I liked the NABC because it was like the Red Bar? I hadn't thought about. I think they remind me of the ancient hippie in me and just have fun talking, eating, drinking , and smoking.
I would get a gang together for next weekend, but we have both Football and basketball on Sat. TDay weekend, maybe everyone will want to take a break...and we don't have a game.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Visit to Sergio's today

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Has anyone been to the Red Bar at Grayton Beach Florida

Ellen,

You got me with that one. :D We go everytime we go to Sandestin- definitely need to go check Sergio's out now....

Deb
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Love the Red Bar (which is not red by the way). My husband and I were married on the beach behind it five years ago.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Nice to see your comments. How wonderful to have your wedding memories from there.
Scenic 30A area has some pretty good,varied, fun restaurants. Bud and Alley's at Seaside - upstairs bar overlooking the water and the beach. The Seagrove Market around the corner. Modija's Market that was featured in the 'Truman Show' movie. Goatfeathers.

If peoples' view of the Panhandle is only Panama City or Destin, they are really missing something.
The bike trail is wonderful. The rustic parks around the development sare lovely.

There is also the new area on Front Beach Road near where the Pier was located. It is all chains mostly, but there is a PC version of a bar (Tootsies Orchid in Nashville) and a Hofbrauhaus. Thomas' Doughnuts near that area is worth the drive. (Closed on Wed.)
And the Red Bar. Great fun. Blues/Jazz on Sundays.

We're heading down there after Xmas. Taking our bikes.

http://www.discover30a.com/discover/guideto30a.asp

http://www.30a.com/
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:23 pm

We're heading down there after Xmas. Taking our bikes.

Well now I'm jealous. We've actually spent the last 7 or 8 New Years Eve's at The Red Bar. Last year several people had bonfires going on the beach behind the bar. After midnight, we wandered back there and crashed the bonfire parties. They didn't seem to mind at all.

I'm afraid that unless we decide to go at the last minute, we probably won't be there this year. It's a long story, but we had planned another trip for the same time that had to be cancelled a couple of days ago. I'm sure around midnight on NYE, I'll be pining for the crowd at The Red Bar.

Aside from the great places you mentioned, we also like....D & K's Beach Cafe across the street from The Red Bar (had our rehearsal dinner there), Yanni's (you can bring your own wine) and Angelina's Pizza. At least once or twice each visit, we'll get carry-out from Angelina's and have a quiet night.

Where are you guys staying?
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ellen P » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm

We have been working our way closer to Seaside for years. Until last year, we stayed at Grayton - across from D&Ks. GBDuplex East. One of the best deals in Grayton.

We found a place in Seaside - not managed by Seaside - which means it's half the price. While we're down there, we're going to roam around Seagrove and take note of places that are within easy walking distance. But these people have been so nice to us that we may have to splurge each year and stay there. It's more than we ever pay for anything but there's something about starting your day on a porch at Seaside, walking to the Town Centre, riding your bikes all around there and Water Color. Love the Friday nights watching the movies outside in the grass. Kids playing. Picnics, bottles of wine. Having a place with a 3rd or 4th floor tower, looking out over Seaside and the gulf.
We'll have to try Angelina's. When we're there next summer, we'll have more time to do that OR winter time, when things are closed, it will narrow our search for different restaurants.

I worked at KFC R&D years ago. There was a guy with an unusual last name, who went on to another chicken chain, out of state. He loved beaches and playing in bands.
Heading toward Seaside a couple of years, I noticed a guy with the same name playing in the band at Seaside's church. Rode our bikes over before church service and there was Don. He is R&D and Purchasing for a chicken company whose hdqs are located over Rendezvous in 'downtown' Seaside! The owner is the minister of the church! Since then, another former colleague began working with him and runs the new Lee's Famous Recipe Restaurant/Test Kitchen toward Santa Rosa. Can you image going to work at Seaside Florida.

Our place sleeps 6. We'll be lucky to get our older daughter and son-in-law down there for 3 days for NYE. We might have to hook up if no one joins us!

We will have to get together for lunch and talk about our Scenic 30A experiences. My company has the nicest gourmet lunch buffet. 2 salads, soup, sandwich, breads, 2 entrees, 2 sides, desserts, beverage, and 1 alcoholic beverage for $11. Includes tax and tip - actually no tipping. Lite lunch $8 doesn't include the entree, sides portions. Let me know.

I'm going to have to watch the Truman Show pretty soon.