Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Foodie in Rio

User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Foodie in Rio

by Jon K » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:02 pm

Hello from Rio de Janeiro fellow forumites. Just arrived from the 'Ville for a meeting and hope to send some pics and accounts of great food. Here's a pic from my balcony.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Foodie in Rio

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Jon K wrote:Hello from Rio de Janeiro fellow forumites. Just arrived from the 'Ville for a meeting and hope to send some pics and accounts of great food. Here's a pic from my balcony

Whoa! Have a great time, Jon. I hope you get to try some memorable food. I wanted to send a photo from my balcony in Verona (no, not Romeo & Juliet's balcony), where you could see the snow-capped Dolomites behind the city. But it was too dern foggy and gray the whole time I was in that hotel.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Who needs a restaurant?

by Jon K » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Business over, so today was a beach day. Amazing, but the beach in Rio is full of food vendors. First, a portion of queijo coalho. This is cheese on a stick that is grilled. Grilled corn on the cob was next. Finally, I found a guy deep frying bacalhau - kind of a salt cod fritter that comes with this amazing lime sauce. All washed down with aqua de coco. The vendor just clips the top off a coconut and sticks in a straw. Grand total: about $7 U.S.
Street food at it's best. Wonder how a bacalhau fritter concession would do at the State Fair?

P.S. Fernando and Anthony, can you get cachaça to make a caipirinha?