Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yum! cutting hundreds of jobs here, Biz First reports

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Yum to cut, move ‘several hundred’ jobs
Business First of Louisville

Yum Brands Inc., parent company of KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, A&W Restaurants and Long John Silver’s will cut or relocate “several hundred” white-collar jobs from its Louisville headquarters and move other jobs to restaurant chain headquarters cities, Louisville Metro Mayor Jerry Abramson’s office has confirmed.

Officials with Yum Brands (NYSE: YUM) could not immediately be reached for comment.

Full story at Business First:
http://louisville.bizjournals.com/louis ... ily28.html
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Yum! cutting hundreds of jobs here, Biz First reports

by John Greenup » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I realize that the QSR segment is usually not the fodder of discussion on this board, but it's impossible to ignore what is happening at YUM, and it's potential impact on the local economy....I worked with KFC Corp. during the 1980's, when they had a major restructuring (shortly after PepsiCo took the helm), followed by another wave of cuts around 1992....I thoroughly enjoyed my years associated with them, and the people who worked there were hard working and dedicated to their jobs...it's too bad that corporate exigencies sometimes take precedence over loyalty...I know what they're going through over there and wish them well in the future -- there will be one...
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello, John, what department were you in? I was there for 7 years. R&D.
There were three layoffs of 6 people each time while I was there. The first time they announced around Oct. that there would be layoffs upcoming. Nearly 6 months later people were finally laidoff - terminated. Morale was great during that time.
The last 'layoff', one person had vegetables in an autoclave above the one I was using. They took us to a room. There we found out that some people weren't joining us. They were collecting their things. I went back to the steamers. It was as if someone had died. It's very hard to find jobs like that in the Louisville area.
I lucked out with this job, now 10 years, but our company has been laying off people too. Earlier in the year, there were unannounced layoffs. I know of others in years between.
Since this was more of a 'restructuring' at Yum, I am hoping my R&D colleagues will be untouched - this time.
(It's a challenge to work in a restaurant in a city where the corporate headquarters are located. Great stories about the Hikes Point location - old location - across from where the Colonel had his condo.)
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Ellen P wrote:Hello, John, what department were you in? I was there for 7 years. R&D.
There were three layoffs of 6 people each time while I was there. The first time they announced around Oct. that there would be layoffs upcoming. Nearly 6 months later people were finally laidoff - terminated. Morale was great during that time.
The last 'layoff', one person had vegetables in an autoclave above the one I was using. They took us to a room. There we found out that some people weren't joining us. They were collecting their things. I went back to the steamers. It was as if someone had died. It's very hard to find jobs like that in the Louisville area.
I lucked out with this job, now 10 years, but our company has been laying off people too. Earlier in the year, there were unannounced layoffs. I know of others in years between.
Since this was more of a 'restructuring' at Yum, I am hoping my R&D colleagues will be untouched - this time.
(It's a challenge to work in a restaurant in a city where the corporate headquarters are located. Great stories about the Hikes Point location - old location - across from where the Colonel had his condo.)

Hi, Ellen....I worked at KFC Corp. from 1981 until late-1987, in Marketing and Product Development, so I had regular interaction with R&D... I remember the Hikes Point location (Hikes & Breckenridge Ln, right?)...we used that as a test store for a breakfast menu we were developing in the mid-'80's....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn