Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Did Big Hopps sell????

no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Did Big Hopps sell????

by jpdurbin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:36 pm

I heard some conversation over lunch about Hopps selling.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Did Big Hopps sell????

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:49 pm

jpdurbin wrote:I heard some conversation over lunch about Hopps selling.

Looks like nobody knows! Assuming it's true, and assuming it stays open under new management, I hope they kick it up a notch. I want to like that place more, but it seems like it lost a step when it moved to the new building between Eighth and Ninth.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:14 pm

They have a new sign. Problem is it's kinda hard to read. I can make out the word "Hopps", but the rest is in question.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:34 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:They have a new sign. Problem is it's kinda hard to read. I can make out the word "Hopps", but the rest is in question.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Something like "Alumni Hopps" I think.
no avatar
User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

yes and no

by PaigeM » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 am

We asked the waiter when we ate there last week. Apparently Michael (the owner/chef) took on some additional partners, so the name was changed to reflect that. But Michael is still there.
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Alumni's Hopps. I work across the street in the Glassworks building and have been there 4 times for lunch. Though friendly, they have been extremely slow the last three times I have been there and have messed up my order twice (giving me a fried pork chop sandwich even though I requested grilled). I had been warned by co-workers that they were always like this. Last time I went I had to hunt down somebody to get a drink 15 minutes after I was seated. Even then I had to wait 5 more minutes before the server came back to confirm that I wanted ice tea to drink, then get the drink and come take my order. Again ordered the grilled pork chop sandwich. After waiting 30 MINUTES I got up and went to the door to leave, as I only had 10 minutes left on my lunch hour. I told the gentleman at the door that I was leaving and they could just disregard my order. He asked what the problem was and after I explained it he took off to the kitchen and came back with my order in a to-go box. Profusely apologized and introduced himself as Aaron, the owner. Told me the next time I came by to ask for him and he would get me taken care of.
I got back to work and opened the box- only to find a FRIED pork chop sandwich! Needless to say, I will not take Aaron up on his offer. I will definitely NOT be back.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Bad to good.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:03 am

Alanna H wrote:Alumni's Hopps. I work across the street in the Glassworks building and have been there 4 times for lunch. Though friendly, they have been extremely slow the last three times I have been there and have messed up my order twice (giving me a fried pork chop sandwich even though I requested grilled). I had been warned by co-workers that they were always like this. Last time I went I had to hunt down somebody to get a drink 15 minutes after I was seated. Even then I had to wait 5 more minutes before the server came back to confirm that I wanted ice tea to drink, then get the drink and come take my order. Again ordered the grilled pork chop sandwich. After waiting 30 MINUTES I got up and went to the door to leave, as I only had 10 minutes left on my lunch hour. I told the gentleman at the door that I was leaving and they could just disregard my order. He asked what the problem was and after I explained it he took off to the kitchen and came back with my order in a to-go box. Profusely apologized and introduced himself as Aaron, the owner. Told me the next time I came by to ask for him and he would get me taken care of.
I got back to work and opened the box- only to find a FRIED pork chop sandwich! Needless to say, I will not take Aaron up on his offer. I will definitely NOT be back.

This is how bad turns to good. I am so sorry yours didn't.

I was out on River Road about 9 o'clock last night and decided to drop in on CQ for a drink and a light bite to eat. I wanted to dine on the deck, but the cold winds off the Ohio made that impossible. I went over to the bar area but the smoke was too strong, so I ended up in the main dining room. I ordered a drink and some Harbor wings, jerk style. The friendly waitress, I think her name was Laura, brought the drink shortly thereafter and not long after that a nice looking basket of wings arrived.

Well, they sure looked big and crunchy on the outside but when I bit into the first one and felt the coldness then saw the red meat, I was not a happy camper. Thinking this may be an aberration, I tried another and another. Well, cold and red chicken is not a good thing. I caught the attention of my waitress and showed her the wings. She immediately and profusely apologized. She said she'd get the manager and sure enough the manager was there in short order.

I showed her the wings and she was apologetic as well. She then asked what she could do for me, stating that I wouldn't be charged for my dining experience. I told her I didn't want to make a big deal of this because I know things like this happen. Someone just needed to have kept the wings in the fryer 2-3 more minutes. I said if she'd get me a new order of wings and make them to go, that would please me. I also told her I wanted to pay for my drink because nothing was wrong with it. After receiving my new order of wings, both the manager and Laura apologized again and asked me to come back. I told them I love CQ and would definitely be back.

Well, to end this little story, I arrived home and the wings were wonderful. Big, crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside and the celery and bleu cheese dressing were a great accompaniment. I just want to say that this is a superb example of a bad experience turned totally around by 2 people being nothing more than caring and asking me how to make it all better. Kudos to Laura, her manager and also to CQ. Now, if the damn weather would make up its mind so I could go enjoy the deck as the breeze wends its way through the old trees and the mighty Ohio drifts off into the sunset, life would be perfect.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.