Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Buffalo Wings and Rings on South Bardstown

by James Natsis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm

I drove by the old Chicago Uno on South Bardstwon road this afternoon and saw that a Buffalo Wings and Rings is opening soon. Work has already started and looks like it is shaping up. I am a vegetarian so this does not excite me, but I know many of you appreciate their genre of food. It looks like Fren Creek is shaping up these days as for decent eats. For example, I thought I would never see the day when the Indian restaurant with the most buzz and innovation would be in Fern Creek.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: Buffalo Wings and Rings on South Bardstown

by Brian Curl » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:38 pm

It looks like Fren Creek is shaping up these days as for decent eats

I have to disagree James. I have lived in Fern Creek for 8yrs. Don't get me wrong I really love it here. I know about the new wing place a few weeks ago, I didn't consider it interesting enough to most on here to post. I might be wrong. But I will patronize them and watch some sports there.

I know this area very well. Dakshin is actually right before Fern Creek. I will give you what I think are the best spots within 4 miles or so of Fern Creek.

Sake Blue (excellent, on par with Sakura)
Dakshin Indian
Sharom's
Bosna Mak
Dinner is Done (in Jtown but about 4miles from Fern Creek cutting through Fairground Rd)
Hungry Pelican
Hunan Wok (great cheap takeout, $4 lunch special with drink included)
Bearnos
Ernesto's
El Nopal or Festiva Mexicana (both decent)
Sugar and Spice Doughnuts
Eureka Joe Coffee Shop
Bootleg BBQ
Culvers Burgers and Custard
Graeters Ice Cream
Jafari's at the Country Club (haven't been, sure it's good)
Moby Dick
White Castle

Those are my favorites in the area. Not bad but no fine dining to speak of (Maybe Jafari's, have to check it out). Plus of course a lot of the regular chains which I do patronize from time to time.

Do you live in Fern Creek? What are your favorites or am I missing any?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:12 am

Brian,
I do live in the area and almost always travel out of the area to eat. But at least lately we've discovered hummas and giros (Sharon's), indian, sushi (Sake Blue), the mexican trailer stand next to the Indian restaurant, and the Homeade Pie and Ice cream place (forgot the name). People have posted favorite chicken wing informal surveys, taco bueno sitings, and other rather banal eating experiences. So I figure somebody out there is yelling across the room "hey honey, guess what--a Buffalo wings and rings is opening right here on Bardstown!"
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:21 am

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with your post. I've just felt very lonely out here in Fern Creek on the forums for several years. I glowed with pride that we got some attn out this way with the Gordita Trailer and Dakshin. I'm sure someone might find the info on the Wing spot interesting but no one has commented on it yet! lol

BTW, have you been to Bosna Mak and tried their Gyro? It's down in Buechel, a real hidden gem. They have a full menu but I pretty much aways get the Gyro. Here is the info if you don't know of them:

Bosna-Mak
maps.google.com

3825 Bardstown Rd
Louisville, KY 40218
(502) 456-1919

James, we'll have to meet up and get some lunch or dinner sometime and talk about food.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:06 pm

Brian,
Let's face it, as a fellow foodie I feel your pain! .......I've retrieved gyros from there several times for my wife but I am a vegetarian--thus I REALLY feel your pain trying to find good veggie selections in the Fern Creek area. Anyway, Louisville is a very accessible city and thus I find it easy to get around in the good foodie areas.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:25 am

I've had several friends say that Sake Blue's sushi is the BEST. It's a hike for me all the way out there but I'll do it for good sushi.
Did I understand you... is Jarfi's going in at Wildwood CC? Will the general public be able to eat there or is it private?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:56 am

carla griffin wrote:Did I understand you... is Jarfi's going in at Wildwood CC? Will the general public be able to eat there or is it private?
They went into Glenmary CC not Wildwood. And, yes they are open to the public. Here's this thread about it: Jarfi's
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:20 am

James Natsis wrote:I drove by the old Chicago Uno on South Bardstwon road this afternoon and saw that a Buffalo Wings and Rings is opening soon. Work has already started and looks like it is shaping up. I am a vegetarian so this does not excite me, but I know many of you appreciate their genre of food. It looks like Fren Creek is shaping up these days as for decent eats. For example, I thought I would never see the day when the Indian restaurant with the most buzz and innovation would be in Fern Creek.

I've eaten at the Buffalo Wings & Rings off 146 3 times now and found it very lacking. VERY lacking. I now drive past it on my way to the BW3 in Springhurst.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:40 am

I've eaten at the Buffalo Wings & Rings off 146 3 times now and found it very lacking. VERY lacking. I now drive past it on my way to the BW3 in Springhurst.

I just found that statement to be very amusing, in ways I'm not sure how to describe.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:53 am

Brian Curl wrote:I've eaten at the Buffalo Wings & Rings off 146 3 times now and found it very lacking. VERY lacking. I now drive past it on my way to the BW3 in Springhurst.

I just found that statement to be very amusing, in ways I'm not sure how to describe.

The fact that Chris M has visited 3 times and come away with a "very lacking" review amused me in a "Fool me once ... shame on ... you ... can't get fooled again" kind of way.

Let me be clear; there's nothing wrong with being an eternal optimist. Sure you don't want to give it a fourth go? :wink:
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 am

IMHO, the Creek need a Heine Bros. in a big way. There is a coffee shop out past the Snyder (which for some reason is like traveling to a foreign country) but the last time I went out there they didn't take credit cards. Apologies to those suffering from interchange fees, but I won't patronize a business that doesn't take plastic. Even the Gordita Trailer takes credit cards.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:29 pm

I decided to call and verify if Eureka Joe's stopped accepting credit cards. One number was disconnected that I found on google. I called the Pizza Hut carry out place right beside the coffee shop to ask if they were open. The girl said that the closed for business as of today. Nice place. But for me to it was a little out of the way from my home. I Heine Bro's would be nice but not sure how good it would do. They are very smart with their locations. You have to sell ALOT of coffee and drinks to make money. They have 3 in the Highlands within a few miles of course. It's a very unique strategy and obviously works. Anyway, as much as I'd like to see a Heine in Fern Creek I'd be surprised.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Brian Curl wrote: I Heine Bro's would be nice but not sure how good it would do. They are very smart with their locations. You have to sell ALOT of coffee and drinks to make money. They have 3 in the Highlands within a few miles of course. It's a very unique strategy and obviously works. Anyway, as much as I'd like to see a Heine in Fern Creek I'd be surprised.

Having grown up in the 40228 zip code - Moore High being my neighborhood school - I take a vested interest in this end of town.

A Heine Brothers would never work because of the lack of foot traffic. I'm not familiar with all of the Heine locations, but the ones I can think of (3 on Bardstown, original location, Frankfort Ave.) all serve neighborhoods that feature significant foot traffic. I don't think anyone walks down Bardstown Road in Fern Creek. It's just not hospitable for such activity. Much like Dixie, it's just one long strip of suburban overkill.

I'm no fan of Starbucks, but I've always wondered if there would be a market in FC for one. When I lived in Highview, I would claim to be the American who lived the furthest from a Starbucks (mid 2000s- closest one was at Highlands Ave). I know Starbucks has expanded out a bit (Bardstown Road @ the old Showcase, Popular Level (now closed), Jefferson Mall). Wonder if Fern Creek is a future target - if they are not there already.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:28 am

Matthew D wrote: Having grown up in the 40228 zip code - Moore High being my neighborhood school - I take a vested interest in this end of town.

A Heine Brothers would never work because of the lack of foot traffic. I'm not familiar with all of the Heine locations, but the ones I can think of (3 on Bardstown, original location, Frankfort Ave.) all serve neighborhoods that feature significant foot traffic. I don't think anyone walks down Bardstown Road in Fern Creek. It's just not hospitable for such activity. Much like Dixie, it's just one long strip of suburban overkill.

I can't imagine the location in the strip mall next to Bardstown Road and the Watterson gets much foot traffic. The location on Chenoweth may get some, but probably not a significant amount, because that part of Chenoweth is so busy. Both have drive throughs (2 other Bardstown Road locations and original Frankfort location do not), which tells me they anticipated a lot of their business being car-driven (no pun intended).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown