Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cafe Lou Lou in the Highlands NOW OPEN - NOW WITH WINE LIST

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:17 pm

MichelleJ wrote:Marsha? Your "The Devil's in the Details Devil Food Chocolate Cake" is fantastic. Not that I've had it twice this week at the Loop or anything.

Thanks, Michelle. I love the frosting on that one - chocolate cream cheese buttercream with drizzled ganache. I have two new desserts at Lou Lou St. Matthews, too - the tiramisu is now raspberry tiramisu (raspberry and espresso flavors go yummy together), and Chocolate Delusion, my new flourless chocolate cake enrobed in dark chocolate ganache - for the gluten-free peeps and others.

Robin, I've got the price list at hand - any in particular?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Robin, I've got the price list at hand - any in particular?

Oh, doesn't matter much ... just a random few for comparison.

How about these by bottle/glass?

Chard, Sonoma Cutrer, CA '06
Fume Blanc, Ferrari Carano, CA '07
Pinot Gris, King Estate, OR '06
Gewurtztraminer, Trimback, ALS '05
Chenin/Viognier, Pine Ridge, CA '06
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Chard, Sonoma Cutrer, CA '06 - $9, $40
Fume Blanc, Ferrari Carano, CA '07 - $6.25, $27
Pinot Gris, King Estate, OR '06 - bottle only, $28
Gewurtztraminer, Trimback, ALS '05 - bottle only, $44
Chenin/Viognier, Pine Ridge, CA '06 - bottle only, $27
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:49 pm

See? That's just hateful. Going to make me go to St. Matthews for Chocolate Delusion. Can't you just ship one to the Loop location with my name on it?
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Fume Blanc, Ferrari Carano, CA '07 - $6.25, $27

Not bad ... I paid $34 for it in an upscale place recently. :)
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

Re: Cafe Lou Lou in the Highlands NOW OPEN - click for BEER LIST

by Todd Antz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:Here's the current wine list for Cafe Lou Lou in the Highlands

Looks like a really nice list, Marsha. Good variety. I'd be interested to know some of the prices ...

(and: ?? what's ALS?)

Alsace. Northeastern France, on the Rhine River, a frequent prize of war that has gone back between the French and the Germans many times. Lots of German family names there (note the spelling of Trimbach, by the way, which should end with an H rather than a K) and hearty German food. The wines are very different from the rest of France or from Germany. Mostly whites, very rich and full-bodied. Interesting stuff.

We've recently picked up several varietals from the Alsace region from Pierre Sparr. They have an excellent Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and a Gewurztraminer I got in today that blew me away. Perfect for Turkey time! Its an interesting region that has an surprising mix of French and German varietals, but most area unique style all of their own.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 am

Dined at Lou Lou tonight for the first time (at either location). A $12.50 bottle of wine (1/2 price) and a 14" Smoked Salmon pie with artichokes. The pizza was great and had 1/2 left over. Service was excellent. Great food and wine and great value. Will be back. (maybe every Wed. And I live 6 miles or so outside the Watterson :wink: )
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Cafe Lou Lou in the Highlands NOW OPEN - click for BEER LIST

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote: (and: ?? what's ALS?)

Alsace. Northeastern France, on the Rhine River, a frequent prize of war that has gone back between the French and the Germans many times. Lots of German family names there (note the spelling of Trimbach, by the way, which should end with an H rather than a K) and hearty German food. The wines are very different from the rest of France or from Germany. Mostly whites, very rich and full-bodied. Interesting stuff.

I lived in Strasbourg (in Alsace) for four months in college, and did a good bit of traveling throughout the region. There are some fantastic wines, and as Robin noted, very different from the rest of France or Germany (or anywhere else for that matter). The region is more noted for its whites than reds. As an example, Riesling is an Alsatian wine, and IMHO, true Alsatian Riesling is VERY different from it's California counterpart (more dry and crisp). I digress - but the wines are wonderful, and the Alsace region also produces some great ice wines.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:22 am

Another interesting tidbit - Alsatian wines are named for the grape variety used (with a few exceptions - e.g., Chardonnay is produced in the region , but only for use in the Cremant d'Alsace sparkling wines).
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:54 am

We finally made it Lou Lou in the Highlands last night, and were very happy. We arrived 15 minutes before our reservation time, and were seated immediately, depisite a pretty good crowd. I was very impressed with the layout and decor - typical Lou Lou look (walls painted different bright colors, interesting art on the walls), and it worked great. I like the bar area on the first level and the step up to the dining tables.

We started with the shrimp and grits, and it was fantastic. The gravy melted in the mouth, with just the right amount of heat to it. We shared a caesar salad, which was a good, standard caesar salad. The lettuce was crisp, the croutons crunchy, and the dressing flavorful without being heavy. We shared the smoked mozzeralla ravioli for our entree, and this was the highlight of the meal. The sauce was great, with solid chunks of tomatoes to be found. The ravioli were cooked perfectly, and the smoked mozzarella filling was a nice surprise. I could definitely taste the smoke, which was an odd but nice contrast to the lightness of the cheese. The shrimp in the dish was good, but didn't really add anything, in my opinion. The tiramisu dessert was definitiely tasty as well. I had an Ommegang Three Philosophers to wash it all down (impressive bottled beer list).

My only gripe was that the salad came less than three minutes after the appetizer was brought out, and the entree followed two minutes after that. There was no spacing to it, and we ended up having our two top bursting with food. Otherwise, Cara gave us wonderful service and was very attentive.
-Alton Brown
Previous