Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Ambiance in Ethnic Restaurants

by Amy A » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:58 pm

The other day my husband remarked that he would LOVE to go to an Indian/Ethiopian restaurant that had an interior similar to the Along Came Polly scene, where a group of friends could go sit in a laid back, cultural setting and share a meal.

Several new spots have opened that we haven't had a chance to visit yet, but do any of them fit this mold?
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

Re: Ambiance in Ethnic Restaurants

by Jeremy Coker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 pm

I am not 100% sure if this is open yet or if it even meets your criteria of "an interior similar to the Along Came Polly scene" as I haven't seen Along Came Polly... But when Queen of Sheba first opened in the old Mazonni's location the owner told me he planned to convert the back area (which Mazonni's used for carryout) into a traditional Ethiopian dining area which would allow small to midsized parties to enjoy a traditional Ethiopian dinning experience.

I hope that helps? :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:06 pm

The folks at the recently reviewed and much-praised DakShin Indian out Bardstown Road have put a lot of effort into creating an authentic Chennai (South India) environment, although interestingly, it came out looking a bit like the kind of hunting lodge scene where you might expect to run into Todd Palin or someone.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The folks at the recently reviewed and much-praised DakShin Indian out Bardstown Road have put a lot of effort into creating an authentic Chennai (South India) environment, although interestingly, it came out looking a bit like the kind of hunting lodge scene where you might expect to run into Todd Palin or someone.

I thought BBQ the first time I went inside.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:31 pm

I think we may try DakShin tonight. I know Red Pepper has that private room also. I'd like to find some place with pillows, where I can sit on the floor and lounge, but that isn't going to happen. Thanks guys. I'll just have to go back to NYC to get my ambiance fix.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:31 am

Judging by some of the chairs I've sat on in some restaurants I'd say most establishments don't want anyone to linger longer than it takes to consume a meal. Which I think is foolish given that desserts and after dinner drinks can really up the ante on a check.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:10 am

Hik-O-Man, the Japanese restaurant on Herr Lane (Westport Plaza), has a nice traditional private dining room...
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:12 am

Caviar Sushi, downtown on Muhammad Ali between 4th and 5th, has a private dining room in traditional Japanese style (one table, seats maybe 10-12).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown