Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Coco's Chocolate Cafe

User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

Coco's Chocolate Cafe

by Laura SS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:33 am

Tasty new treat looks to be opening on Bardstown Road tomorrow night!

On my drive home this evening, I noticed the shiny new signs for Coco's Chocolate Cafe near Asiatique and next door to the former home of Seafood Connection. A chocolate shop so close to home?! I pulled over and headed in, since the door was open.

A tentative "Hello?" summoned the owner and chocolatier, Frederick T. Moore Jr. (according to his business card), from the back. A pleasant gent, Mr. Moore didn't have time to chat as he was readying for a bridal shower in the morning, but he invited me -- and the public at large -- to their grand opening tomorrow, Friday the 20th, from 7 to I believe it was 10 PM.

They're still clearly in the "getting set up" stage, as the case was empty, the floors appeared a bit rough, and there was no furniture. Seemed like a lot of ground to cover before being ready for an open house just 24 hours away, but my curiosity is piqued ...

Their website's got a menu PDF on it. Fancy artisan chocolates, coffee drinks, hot chocolates, fondues, mousse, cake. According to a March 2 Business First article, they received a government loan to open "a coffee shop and dessert cafe, at 1763 Bardstown Road. The new business is modeled on a similar business they operate in Chicago."

Map of the location

Coco's Chocolate Cafe
1763 Bardstown Rd.
494-1147
cococafe @ bellsouth.net
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:36 am

I'd love to see something like this do well. In order to do so it'll need a great deal of buzz. Chocolate is so seasonal here in Louisville that there's a danger of them losing too much business in the summer because of the heat.
There's nothing better than locally made chocolates but they don't travel well. I hope they do bitter chocolate covered orange peel! UUUMMMMMM....chocolate!
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost