Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mainers Eat Louisville (part deux)!

no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

Mainers Eat Louisville (part deux)!

by Steve A » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Last week we completed our second visit to Louisville this year. While the purpose of our first trip was to get a general feel for the area, this time we wanted to take a closer look at specific areas where we might want to set down our somewhat gypsy roots.

One of the attributes of the Louisville area that really appeals to us is the wide selection of restaurants. That made it really easy to make it a point to dine in establishments that we missed the last time around, with a couple of exceptions.

Friday found us at El Nopal on Westport Rd. for some Mexican food. My sweetie had the Carne Azada, while I had the chicken breast with poblano peppers, onion and mushrooms both served with refried beans and rice. The dishes were very good, though while the jalapenos made Barbara's eyes water, my poblanos were a bit too mild. Bottom line is this is real Mexican food that's not smothered in sour cream or cheese.

Saturday we made our only repeat visits to Louisville restaurants. My sister and her beau met us and we headed off to Lynn's Paradise Cafe for some Big Food and a kitchy atmosphere. We were not disappointed with the burgers and other lunch fare, and the sweet potato fries were a definite standout. After lunch we waddled over to Sweet Surrender and their wonderful cakes. What a sweet topper to lunch.

Sunday we set our sights on barbeque, but our destination was unexpectedly closed so we ended up at Bluegrass Brewing Company on Shelbyville Road. The beer was great, and their pub grub menu satisfying if a bit pedestrian. But then, who really goes to a microbrewery for the food?

Monday was our day to meet up with the LouisvilleHotBytes forumers for lunch at Impellizzeri's Pizza on Brownsboro. The breadstix and salad were a great starter, and the pizza selection was delicious – not your average pizza and truly great pie. The highlight of lunch were the fine folks we had the pleasure of meeting and dining with. Although our appetites were fully sated by our midday meal, we found ourselves with a thirst, so we sidled up to the bar at L&N Wine Bar and Bistro to sample their fine wine selection. Barbara had a glass of granache while I sampled a trio of the bartender's choosing. What a relaxing atmosphere!

Tuesday lunch was White Castle. Sliders. Enough said. Dinner, however was a totally different story. We headed over to Mojito's for tapas and a mojito. Of all the selections, our favorites were the figs (Higos Rellenos) and the duck flatbread. Based on past experience with tapas restaurants we each chose three entrees, when we should have stopped at two. As a result, there was no room for dessert. They seemed to be pretty busy, considering it was a Tuesday, but the service was friendly and attentive.

Wednesday was a special day (my birthday), and it demanded a special meal. That special treat was lunch at Corbett's. I chose the asparagus soup and the beef tips entree from the prix fixe menu, and Barbara had the squash soup followed by the chicken and dumplings dish. Our entrees were cooked to perfection, and especially impressive were the rich fullness of their sauces. There was a little mixup on my dessert, but the pumpkin pot de crème, candle included, was nonetheless wonderful. Adding our enjoyment was the warm ambiance of this restaurant.

Thursday we finally cured our craving for barbecue at Kentucky Barbecue Company on Frankfort. We both chose brisket sandwiches for lunch, washed down with sweet tea. The beef was tender and smoky and the sauces added just the right tang. My brisket "reuben" was a particularly interesting twist to what can be a pretty plain sandwich. And while we were in the neighborhood, we made another trip to Sweet Surrender for a piece of carrot cake to go.

So now we're back home and the reality of late fall in northern New England is settling in, so we're bundling up and hunkering down. The real estate market up here isn't exactly vibrant right now, but the sign's still in front of the house and St. Joe is buried upside down somewhere in the garden. Our hope is still to make Louisville our home before too long.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Mainers Eat Louisville (part deux)!

by Doogy R » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:20 pm

It's so good to see that you all are enjoying all that the Ville has to offer.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Steve,

I'm very honored that you once again visited Sweet Surrender during your return visit. And twice no less! Next time you're in town and drop in, please introduce yourselves. It's always great meeting people from the forum as well as people from out of town who find their way to us.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 pm

I always thought it was St. Anthony the "patron saint of lost things" that was buried upside down.... and prayed to when you could not find your keys, sell a house, a pet gone missing. Have I been led astray all these years?
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Annemarie! I can remember when my parents sold their house in Queens, they buried a Saint in the front yard!

I thought it was St. Anthony because that was the St. that was called upon in our house a lot. Four kids and busy parents always losing something. So I guess they did it right, and Buried St. Joseph...... I hope! By the way they sold the house.... quickly!