Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Interesting Article on Tipping

by Brad Keeton » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:Brad i understand your point, but what happens when your barista is making $10 plus per hour (corp baristas in my experience)
isn't their ability to pour a "complicated drink" part of why they are being paid a higher wage with better benefits

shawn

Shawn - I agree that being knowledgeable about the drinks and being able to pull them off is part of the job and the wage, but I still see no reason not to tip them. $10/hour isn't exactly a goldmine. That being said, it does justify a lesser tip (say, 10%) than the 15%-20% that should go to restaurant servers, especially considering a barista will pull many more espressos in a day than tables a server will see.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:06 pm

OK, I just went back and reread the article and BOY did I ever misread it. I have to apologize for saying harsh things about the author. Interestingly, I misread the very first sentence (thesis) and that poisoned the way that I took everything he said after that. I saw the ''$2 dollar tip' and the '$20 dollar tip' and did what tipped employees do, I thought: '2 on 20..' I thought the author was saying not to tip on wine purchases...Whoops!

To Robin's assertion: You have been there, I have gotten my information from guests at Disney. Of course I bow to your experience. You mentioned Michelin level restaurants. Most of my people didn't seem like the type. Perhaps they were talking about the local pubs and such, maybe they had stars in their eyes from 'Disney Magic,' but I did hear it a lot.

Hank Sutton wrote:Origin of the word "tip" and many more categories at the Urban Legend Reference Pages:
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

The acronym T.I.P.S. was a training tool popular in corporate restaurant culture as far back as the 80's. I learned it at Shoney's training as a server for the first time. I saw a show, can't remember for the life of me which, on Food Network that explained the American tradition of tipping servers. This author was disputing that assertion. As the story goes, in NY in the 19th century, businessmen dining for lunch would sit down and place a 'tip' on the table to expedite their service. NY was a pretty busy place even then, and the servers would, indeed, show them preference over all the other tables. The more generous you were, the faster you returned to work. That's where my perspective of the subject comes from. Thanks for your 'snoping', too, because it seems that the author is shedding yet an older light on the subject. Interesting.

The sad thing about my reading of the article and all that ensued is that, for me, it's always automatic: I overtip everyone, karma's a b!tch! So the rant was all a much ado about nothing, lol!
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Brad consider your 10% multiplied by the number of espressos the barista pulls each day
i'd rather leave 25% for a decent server who is making $8 leass an hour than the barista,
than leave 5% for a barista that has better health care benefits than every server i know

the dramatic difference in wages between baristas and servers makes the point, even if the barista is making minimum wage, there is still a huge inequity in take home pay from wages

thus, the server deserves the tip and the barista (in my opinion) does not

if any baristas would care to correct my assertion about what they earn,
i'd be more than happy to begin tipping those of you that make less than minimum wage

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
Previous