Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Paula Masoud

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Free coffee today and free beer tonight!

by Paula Masoud » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Here's something to ponder, as reported in a newspaper far, far away....

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed.

Once in the restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference--just imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside.

The server angrily stormed from my sight. I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was grateful.

At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the actual recipient deserved money more.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Love it, Paula!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Well, I still feel bad, I am so embarrassed :oops: !

Here, have a nice tall mug of beer. On the house! :)
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Paula Masoud wrote:I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

I guess getting your facts from stump speeches and not bothering to get the actual facts about a candidate's platform is easier to swallow than having to actually research things and possibly have to admit that your candidate may actually be taking something out of context.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:22 pm

The argument is not logical. Homeless people have no income and aren't on any type of assistance. If they are not earning any income then they are receiving no tax credits or tax rebates and if they are living in the street they are not receiving public assistance.

Some people do very well and don't believe in helping others, some people do very well and do believe in helping others. There are some very rich Dems which fall into the later and I respect their belief in helping people that are having a rough time. Some folks do take advantage of the system, have too many babies and are just lazy but I would say the vast majority want to better themselves and become self sufficient.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Of course the argument is not logical, but even that's a moot point, because the whole redistribution of wealth BS is a fabrication. McCain refers to a radio program that aired January 18, 2001, on Chicago public radio station WBEZ. Obama and two other law professors took part in a panel discussion titled "The Court and Civil Rights," focusing on U.S. Supreme Court rulings primarily in the 1950s and '60s. Obama was a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago Law School and an Illinois state senator at the time of the program. During the panel discussion, Obama talked about court rulings and "redistributive change" from a historical legal perspective but there's no indication that he was advocating "redistributing wealth and income" as McCain's statement implies.

People should get their facts straight before they decide how clever it would be to stiff servers.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Allegedly Obama did make a comment about "spreading the wealth" when speaking to Joe the Plumber. I think it was caught on tape but I haven't seen it. It was a mistake if he did say it and I think it has tightened what the outcome will be.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Oh, here is his quote.

"I just want you to be clear – it's not that I want to punish your success – I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you – that they've got a chance at success too.

"My attitude is that if the economy's good for folks from the bottom up, it's gonna be good for everybody. If you've got a plumbing business, you're gonna be better off if you've got a whole bunch of customers who can afford to hire you, and right now everybody's so pinched that business is bad for everybody and I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 pm

I thought it was illegal in Kentucky for a business with a beer/or liquor license to give away free alcoholic beverages?
I don't want to see anyone get in trouble.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:49 pm

I've heard that but not sure it is true, if so it's really dumb, an owner should be able to do what he/she wants with their business.

But Matthew's quote says We'll be giving out free beer (I'm buying the house a round) so that might have him covered. If not how about a beer for a penny?
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Right Brian, I mean it's a bad quote that doesn't reflect his actual plan in any specific way, but the McCain campaign took that quote and dug up the whole "Redistributing wealth" sound bite from something old and unrelated and ran with it.
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a Libertarian. I'm so used to losing, it feels like winning now. :lol:
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:41 pm

9:40 p.m.
Stick a fork in it. It's done.
I'm calling it for Obama. :sigh:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Leah s wrote:9:40 p.m.
Stick a fork in it. It's done.
I'm calling it for Obama. :sigh:

I'll double the :sigh:
I hope all the people that wanted Obama enjoy paying the taxes that are coming while those of us who didn't want him cry.
I guess it might be better to give up our good jobs and go to work at Wal-Mart so we can be on the receiving end instead of on the paying end of the new administration. :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm

I for one will be thrilled to help pay to make this country a better place, though if anyone actually paid attention here, they'd realize that taxes really aren't going to go up much if at all. But why be a sore winner ;) GObama!!!!!
PreviousNext