Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

PLEASE GO OUT AND..........

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: PLEASE GO OUT AND..........

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I voted at 1(ish) pm at Bon Air Library, and there was, literally, NO wait. It took me more time to drive to the polls than it did to actually vote.

I didn't get a sticker, either. I want my damn doughnut!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Steve Cecil wrote:
Matthew D wrote: Who knows what the questions were about, but my optimistic side hoped they were questions from first-time voters.

There were three people in line with me who had never voted, and two were in their 40's! I love voting so much, I voted in the 1988 elections with the worst hangover of my life - I literally had to triple-check my ballot. :lol:

Steve,

In 2004 my oldest daughter was studying abroad and attended a college about 3 hrs south of Paris. She took a train to Paris and stood outside the U.S. consolate in the rain for 8 hours so that she could vote. I have never been more proud of her. If your hangover was anything like a few I enjoyed back in my Navy days then I'm proud of you too...There's nothing like adversity to bring out the American in all of us.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:18 pm

There was no line for me either!
no avatar
User

Rob Summers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

by Rob Summers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Voted at about 915 and there was about a 2 minute wait for a booth, no delay by the poll workers.
The 'net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
~William Gibson
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Northeast Christian Church at 3pm. No waiting at all. I was kinda surprised by that, especially after hearing some reports of lines wrapped around parking lots.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 pm

Wait till after work. I'll bet the lines form then. Did you notice from the "Time that the Polls close map" in the CJ today that KY and parts of IN close first in the country?
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 pm

Well, you can't buy booze until after the polls close.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Leann C wrote:Well, you can't buy booze until after the polls close.

That's why I got mine yesterday. :D
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Us too. But I was really making a joke about KY poles closing earlier than other places.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Leann C wrote:Us too. But I was really making a joke about KY poles closing earlier than other places.

I have a great-uncle by marriage who's a pole. Come to think of it of it drinking was a problem there. 8)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Mark Head wrote:
Leann C wrote:Us too. But I was really making a joke about KY poles closing earlier than other places.

I have a great-uncle by marriage who's a pole. Come to think of it of it drinking was a problem there. 8)

Yea! And can't a man get a lapdance ater 4am?!?! :lol:
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 pm

I voted at Crescent Hill Baptist at three, no line. My husband voted at six-thirty A.M.,no line. It is now six P.M. Let the counting begin!!!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Leann C wrote:Well, you can't buy booze until after the polls close.

I wish you folks would tell newcomers like us things like this before it's too late :roll: I was going to run down to the Liquor Barn for some post election libation only to discover that they were closed. Luckily I had a case of "Light" something or other ("Fizzy Water") stashed away in the basement. It's now chilling to the appropriate temp and we'll soon be on our way downstairs to watch the evening festivities. Glad to hear most folks had no trouble voting. Talked to my mom in Ohio and she had a 45 minute wait in line...short by comparison to some experiences I'm reading about.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm

I show up at my polling place this morning promptly at 0600 to see about 150 fellow voters in line. Knowing how important this election is they had 2 voting machines. 2 voting machines!?!?!?!? For really important elections like Sheriff and Coroner we get 4 voting machines, but since this was just about electing a new President, Congressman, Senator and Sewer District rep we only got 2.

I also asked for a paper ballot so I could do a write in vote. I was told that the write in candidate "had to be approved to be a candidate before you could write them in." I argued for several minutes that that statement made no sense whatsoever but the man just kept repeating it. Meanwhile I'm holding up 100 people behind me so I caved and just didn't register a vote in one particular race. Off to study up on election law.

Edited for update: The poll worker was right. You have to be registered as a write in candidate to have votes counted in Kentucky. So much for any sort of guerilla campaign at the last moment.
no avatar
User

Steve B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chicago

by Steve B » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 pm

Seems like there should be a better way. To restrict voters who work for a living to a one hour block before and after work on one day in the middle of November makes less than no sense. Works ok for retired folks but that's about it.
PreviousNext