Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

interesting produce collaboration

by Holly C » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:56 pm

I heard a commercial for this on WFPL and found this link explaining more (scroll down to the section "Community Supported Agriculture"):
http://www.geocities.com/salouisville/f ... arkets.htm

If you pay $450, you will get a bushel basket of vegetables each week for 27 weeks, to be picked up on Wednesday afternoons at the Glassworks building. The vegetables are grown by farmers in Trimble, Oldham, and Henry counties, and they will have about 31 different types of veggies. They suggest sharing with a neighbor or coworker if you can't afford that much money or can't eat that much produce each week.

Interesting idea.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Yes, they've been doing it for a few years, now. Our daughter signed up as did a neighbor or two. You get a lot of produce!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:11 pm

My mom and I have considered splitting a share, but we still thought it might be too much for (2) 2-people households.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has done it though!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Perhaps like-minded forumites could make arrangements to share a share. I've always been curious about this deal, but we are also a two person household and just knew I'd have rotting veggies on my hands (which would lead to much guilt).
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm

This will be our 3rd year, but we pick up in the Highlands.
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Leah and Tina. About how much produce do you receive (either total or -- better -- weekly)?
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Produce

by Sonja W » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 pm

I am seriously interested in splitting this with someone by two or three, whatever.

Robin, what is the best way to leave contact info on this forum?
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:39 am

Tina M wrote:This will be our 3rd year, but we pick up in the Highlands.

Really? Where, since the only other references I've seen were to the Glassworks location?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Produce

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 am

Sonja W wrote:I am seriously interested in splitting this with someone by two or three, whatever.

Robin, what is the best way to leave contact info on this forum?

Even though this is a friendly forum, I don't recommend leaving home addresses and phone numbers anywhere on the Internet, Sonja. Best bet is probably to make initial contact in a public post, then discuss it by Private Message or E-mail.

I think this kind of thing ("community supported agriculture" or "CSA" is the buzzword for it) is a great idea, but in the past it just hasn't been practical for us, not only because we're a family of two but also because we eat out so much, <i>and</i> my bride loves to grow veggies in our own garden, so we figure there's just no way we wouldn't end up wasting a lot of the goodies.
no avatar
User

Andrew Adler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Louisville, KY USA

by Andrew Adler » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:38 am

My wife (actually, then girlfriend/fiancee) did this about 9-10 years ago when we lived in Crescent Hill. The quality of the produce was excellent, but there were some weeks when we got a huge amount of something (say, turnips) that we wouldn't ordinarily use that much of. What you get from week to week was, understandably, dependent on what was available and fresh. But that could also mean being prepared to adjust your expectations. Can't say, of course, if there's a different setup in place these days.

best...aa.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Tina M » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:Leah and Tina. About how much produce do you receive (either total or -- better -- weekly)?

It's a big box. I'm not sure. You should ask the farmer you're thinking of working with.

You have to keep in mind that it depends on what's in season and how well the crops are doing. So early on, we get an overflowing box of greens (swiss chard, collard, beats with their greens), some scallions, salad greens, fennel, etc. That takes up a lot of room.

Then later in the season, the box may not be as overflowing, but it'll be heavy with corn, tomatoes, potatoes, basil.

We love it. I'm always eager to start up in the spring, but I'll admit I'm just as happy to see it go in the fall. It is quite a bit of work to wash all that. We clean it the day after we get the box. I find I'm much more liable to use it in recipes if it's ready to go.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sonja W » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Even though this is a friendly forum, I don't recommend leaving home addresses and phone numbers anywhere on the Internet, Sonja. Best bet is probably to make initial contact in a public post, then discuss it by Private Message or E-mail.

I know, hence my caution. But I don't know how to bridge this forum to private communication. Is there a way to do that?

From what I've read so far, there are other forumites interested in splitting this fresh produce deal.

To the farmers behind this, please consider offering half baskets for those of us with small households. There seems to be enough potential customers to make it worthwhile.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Tina M » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:00 am

Sonja W wrote:

I know, hence my caution. But I don't know how to bridge this forum to private communication. Is there a way to do that?

From what I've read so far, there are other forumites interested in splitting this fresh produce deal.

To the farmers behind this, please consider offering half baskets for those of us with small households. There seems to be enough potential customers to make it worthwhile.

Some of them do. You just need to ask around.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

produce

by Sonja W » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:32 am

Tina wrote: "Some of them do. You just need to ask around."

Tina, do you mean customers or farmers? If it's customers, that's what I'm trying to do. If it's farmers offering half baskets, who are they so I can contact them? I don't know where to begin asking around.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:17 am

Sonja W wrote:From what I've read so far, there are other forumites interested in splitting this fresh produce deal.

Sonja, find a post from the person you want to contact, and then click the PM button to send a Private Message within the forum, or EMAIL to send a message to their E-mail box.
Next