Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Great NYT article on Italian craft beers

by Matthew Landan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 am

Savoring Italy, One Beer at a Time
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/travel/02Beer.html

In other Italian beer news: MillerSAB just purchased a controlling stake in Peronni.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: Great NYT article on Italian craft beers

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:03 pm

Within the next two or three years, I intend to emulate the author.

Here's the pull, courtesy of my friend Stan Hieronymus:

“Italian brewers have done a wonderful job of making it clear that they are the same sort of artisans as chefs and others involved in food,” said Stan Hieronymus, the author of “Brew Like a Monk,” who is making his own trip to the region this fall. “That makes a trip to Italy to find more of these beers and to experience them, along with local cuisine, particularly appealing.”

The B United importing company represents most of the breweries mentioned, and indeed, the explosion of choice is amazing. Earlier this summer, we did a draft focus on four more or less randomly selected Italian craft brews, and I've ordered a half-dozen or so kegs to be featured at the pub during the Saturnalia time before, during and after Christmas.

Todd Antz ... are you carrying these in bottles?
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

We are a bit shy on our Italian craft brews currently. After Roger's run of Italian kegged beer this summer, we sold through most of our stock, and unfortunately, our distributor will not keep any of these in stock on a permanent basis, so it all becomes a special order which is always based on what the importer has in stock at the moment the order is placed. Out of the 10 or so Italians I recently ordered, I only got one this past week, which was the Panil Bariquee. The 2005 vintage of this was one of the best versions of a Flemish sour ale that I had ever encountered. The first batch of the 2006 vintage had some serious carbonation issues, but this is a completely new batch, so I have to give a bottle a whirl and see how it is.

The Italian beer industry has been very interesting to watch over the past few years. Initially, the Italian beer industry seemed to start and stop with Peroni, a rather plain lager that I would compare with dishwater. It has grown considerably over the past 4-5 years. Moretti La Rossa was the first Italian beer that made me stand up and start to pay attention. To me, its one of the better dopplebocks made. Several others that I truly enjoyed was the Demon Hunter by Birrificio Montegioco, a tremendous Belgian-style strong ale, and Baladin Noel, one of the better Belgian-style winter ales on the market. The thing that stood out to me was their ability to take a style from another country and recreate it with subtle tweaks in to some of the best versions of those styles available. It looks like they are spreading their wings a bit more to create some styles that might be all their own.

I had always thought that a wine tour of Italy was a must do thing in life, but I am starting to rethink that a beer tour of Italy might happen before that wine tour for me.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks, Todd. Since this came up, I decided to being sifting through my pre-orders for December to see which Italian kegs I ordered, and so far, here's the one that (a) stands out, and (b) seems to be the perfect example of what we're saying. The description is from B United's web site.

SHANGRILA

Shangrila was the first creation from Birrificio Troll. It is of dark amber color and has a persistent head and with its 8.5 alc./vol. it warms the palate and the heart.

Shangrila is brewed using malt, English hops and a mixture of spices from the Himalayas: tandori (Blend of coriander, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, ginger, cardamom, saffron), curry, pepper, anise. Shangrila is a complex full bodied beer with exotic scents and an intense flavor.

Shangrila is a perfect companion for meats of every type, especially ones grilled over charcoal. It also pairs very well with fine cheeses.

When I get the list completed, I'll report back.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 pm

there's hope for the Italian beer industry
let us hope that other countries known for their pale flavorless lagers (i'm thinking south of the border)
will follow the same example

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

I just tried a couple of beers from San Marino Italy. They are bottled under the name Amacord after the famous Federico Fellini film. I had a strong brown doube called la Tabbacheria at 10% ABV that was quite tasty and a red called La Putenne or something similar, wasn't quite as tasty as the brown...
Would love to try some of these others over at Rogers later this year...
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.