Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Blue Nile NOT closed

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Blue Nile NOT closed

by James Natsis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:10 pm

Somebody made a post about a month ago stating that the Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant downtown had closed. I had even chimed in expressing my regrets. I decided to swing by there this afternoon because a friend of mine who will be in from Southern Cal for a conference downtown next weekend said he wanted to do Ethiopian. Well, it turns out that not only is Blue Nile not closed, but they have taken a hit for the past month because of these rumours of it being closed (I think the C-J wrote something as well). Folks, this is someone's livelyhood, not a hobby. DO NOT frigggin post a closing unless you are sure. I think it is fair to INQUIRE, but not to state that a particular restaurant is closing unless YOU confirm it. I was, and still am, livid over this. These poor people have worked hard to build a business that I think adds a nice touch to the downtown dining scene.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Blue Nile NOT closed

by Joel H » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Good to know. I haven't had a chance to go there for lunch yet but hopefully I will soon...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:13 pm

James, cool your jets a little, please, sir. The only post I can find on this topic was my post in which I stated - correctly - that the Blue Nile property was up for sale by the Houston Group. I asked whether it was operating in the interim, but got no reply. There was no rumor.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4306

James Natsis wrote:Somebody made a post about a month ago stating that the Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant downtown had closed. I had even chimed in expressing my regrets. I decided to swing by there this afternoon because a friend of mine who will be in from Southern Cal for a conference downtown next weekend said he wanted to do Ethiopian. Well, it turns out that not only is Blue Nile not closed, but they have taken a hit for the past month because of these rumours of it being closed (I think the C-J wrote something as well). Folks, this is someone's livelyhood, not a hobby. DO NOT frigggin post a closing unless you are sure. I think it is fair to INQUIRE, but not to state that a particular restaurant is closing unless YOU confirm it. I was, and still am, livid over this. These poor people have worked hard to build a business that I think adds a nice touch to the downtown dining scene.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Actually this is an excellent example of the damage that can be done by spreading false rumors. I was supposed to go for the first time with a friend the day after I saw something saying they were closed- I believe in the C-J. So we didn't go.... Now I need to track back that rumor to see if i misinterrupted something, or it actually said that it was closed. I feel awful.

Please folks, be very careful spreading any kind of rumors about restaurants- as James points out - that's someone's livlihood you are messing with and some places never recover from that kind of bad press.

Deb
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:43 pm

Robin,
Your original post was legitimate, and it seems that the main damage was done by the C-J. The owner said that she was informed of the article and the C-J apologized and supposedly posted a correction (which we know never makes up for the original damage of such an incident). As for the Forum Robin, you do a heck of a job and Louisville is fortunate to have someone of your knowledge and interest in the world of culinary arts. I brag to out-of-towners about our Forum and consult it daily. So don't take this too much to heart. But I think that people, like myself and Deb who recently posted, view something like this and draw quick conclusions. Perhaps we should state that he/she who posts a possible closing should followup on it and update the readers. This will help diminish misunderstandings that could damage a business. And with all that said, thanks Robin for this awesome site that has informed and enlightened me 100x more than anything negative.
Cheeers
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:56 pm

James Natsis wrote:thanks Robin for this awesome site that has informed and enlightened me 100x more than anything negative.
Cheeers

I love ya, man! Here, have a beer! 8)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Just to clarify: As I stated, the mis-information I was acting on was from the C-J, not Hotbytes. My comment on being careful about spreading rumors, was meant to be a generic rule to apply in both Hotbytes posting and comments to friends ( where I errored).

Deb