Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Village Bakery News

no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Village Bakery News

by C. Devlin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Robin, I hope this is okay to post here....

I'm sending around my upcoming baking schedules to clients, and would like to invite anybody here who's interested to pm me and I'll add your name to the list.

Currently, I've got a very modified Thanksgiving schedule, and a bigger Christmas schedule lining up with a very different and more complex cakes menu to choose from, together with breads and a very short list of cookies.

Thanksgiving orders are due by next Friday, so if anybody's interested, please pm me pronto and I'll forward the schedule (which also includes the Christmas schedule, which I will send out again late November).

Thanks all.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Village Bakery News

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 pm

C. Devlin wrote:Robin, I hope this is okay to post here....

No problem, Colleen. As a valued regular participant who's in the business, it's entirely appropriate for you to give us low-key information about opportunities for forumites. As I said in another thread today, the only problem I have is when we get "stealth spam" from non-regulars or from PR folks posting overt advertising material on behalf of a client without seeking approval first.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:54 pm

I, for one didn't even know you were a baker and certainly appreciate these kinds of posts. When you think about it, your post not only helps your business, but helps the entire foodie community at large. Who am I going to visit when in your neck of the woods? A bakery where I know nobody, or another foodie?
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by C. Devlin on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:29 pm

I for one can't say enough incredible things about Coleen's breads.

We used her breads for a while at the Oakroom (before we moved to doing all our own breads in house), and they are hands down some of the nicest breads you'll ever taste.

If you think Blue Dog bread is good... Coleen's breads make their product taste like Wonder bread. (maybe a slight exaggeration, but her stuff is definitely better!)

I like Blue Dog as much as the next guy, but damn.
Village Bakery breads are the best made/tasting breads in the region.

(PS. I'm incredibly jealous of your ever beautiful house and oven Coleen :wink: )
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:If you think Blue Dog bread is good... Coleen's breads make their product taste like Wonder bread. (maybe a slight exaggeration, but her stuff is definitely better!)

With all respect, Ethan, I love Colleen's breads, too, but that's not just an exaggeration, it is a ridiculous statement. Pardon me being so blunt, but I know a bit about bread, and I think you could have expressed it more fairly than that.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Didn't mean to prompt a scuffle. Still, I appreciate Ethan's enthusiastic support. Blue Dog bread is a very different bread from mine. I suspect we use radically different processes, even though on the face of it we sound very similar. If anybody is familiar with Scholar's Inn out of Bloomington, my breads are very similar to theirs.

Different strokes I reckon.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:If you think Blue Dog bread is good... Coleen's breads make their product taste like Wonder bread. (maybe a slight exaggeration, but her stuff is definitely better!)

With all respect, Ethan, I love Colleen's breads, too, but that's not just an exaggeration, it is a ridiculous statement. Pardon me being so blunt, but I know a bit about bread, and I think you could have expressed it more fairly than that.

Please... in case you've forgotten, look up the definition of facetious.
(apparently it wasn't obvious enough, so it's worth spelling it out literally)

Yes, I do know and have long recognized the difference between Blue Dog and Village Bakery Bread.
And in recognition of these differences, the majority of the time my preference is Village bread.

For public record:
I love Blue Dog bread.
And no, I wouldn't never seriously compare Blue Dog to Wonder Bread.

To Colleen:
I love your bread a whole bunch more. Opinions be damned.

(seriously though folks, is it a crime to say nice things about the quality of ones product?)
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 am

Ethan Ray wrote:(seriously though folks, is it a crime to say nice things about the quality of ones product?)

Of course not, Ethan, and Colleen's bread deserves praise. But that was not your crime. A public statement, with no evidence of facetiousness, comparing one of Louisville's top artisan bakeries to a bland mega-industrial product is going a little bit far.

Would it be a crime to compare an Ethan Ray dessert to a Sara Lee cupcake?
no avatar
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

by Jim Greenbrier » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:35 am

Hello,

I m just an individual who d buy ur products.....But, all posts so far are confusing as how to purchase and "where" pick up sites would be...

Can you help me and others??

Also, re a Farmer s Market, I d suggest you call Norton Commons in North East Jefferson County....It s an impressive unique, fast growing community which indeed might match your also unique quality products....www.nortoncommons.com

This year, Sarah Fritchener(retired food editior from C Journal) managed the market...

Just recently, a bakery was to start here...a incredible looking building was built to house it ( Currently,Small Times Bakery; Hikes Point,Louisville)... for some reason, possibly financial, they very recently with drew. It was a great disappointment to our community. Possibly, there is a way to work with Norton Commons also as well as their Farmer s Market.. Contact is: Angela Hepner. (Link provides Tel number)

JJG Jr
Norton Commons
Prospect,Kentucky
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I guess it depends on how you feel about a Sara Lee cupcake.... :)
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:(seriously though folks, is it a crime to say nice things about the quality of ones product?)

It wouldn't be a crime because it's incredibly obvious that they are worlds apart.
And that was my intention with my comparison.

People "get" Sara Lee.

No evidence of facetiousness?
PAINFULLY obvious as it is, If you or anyone else think i honestly was comparing Blue Dog to Wonder Bread, you obviously don't have a clue what you eat.
If that wasn't a textbook usage of the very definition facetiousness, I don't know what is.

It'd be like a comparison of the Seelbach's Brunch buffet to a Motel 6 continental breakfast.
Or comparing the validity of The NY Times to a church bulletin.

Seriously, aren't those comparison's as painfully obvious?

Without further adieu, here's my public apology to LHB as a whole regarding my comparative claims of Blue Dog to Wonder Bread:

---------------------------

I'm incredibly sorry if you feel like i was insulting the intelligence of the readers here at LHB, but i thought that most (if not all) of them, we'd be able to ascertain the fact that "No, Ethan is obviously not comparing Louisville's precious Blue Dog Bakery to Wonder Bread, that would be silly.".
Rather than: "Wonder Bread, eh? Wow. Blue Dog must be really bad, or this Village Bread must be the end all of bread; or maybe he meant that Blue Dog bread is great for a grilled cheese?"

So to you my dear reader, I'm sorry for insulting your intelligence that you maybe (just perhaps) can read between the lines of text and through the generous praise and opinion.

To spell it out again, (more clearly and simply this time)

Blue Dog = Great Bread
Village Bakery = Ethan just happens to hold the opinion that he likes it better. (while still recognizing the differences in the two bakery's breads and appreciating these differences)

(Again, I'm incredibly sorry i made the bold assumption that the demographics here can handle more than the reasoning/deduction and cognitive abilities of reading and writing of an 8th grader to assume that I was being facetious. And in that same respect, if i was in fact mistaken, I'm also incredible sorry for using vocabulary words you may not understand...)

---------------------------

And yes, I'm well aware there are numerous run-on sentences in this reply.
Ethan Ray

no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Jim Greenbrier wrote:Hello,

I m just an individual who d buy ur products.....But, all posts so far are confusing as how to purchase and "where" pick up sites would be...

Can you help me and others??

Also, re a Farmer s Market, I d suggest you call Norton Commons in North East Jefferson County....It s an impressive unique, fast growing community which indeed might match your also unique quality products....www.nortoncommons.com

This year, Sarah Fritchener(retired food editior from C Journal) managed the market...

Just recently, a bakery was to start here...a incredible looking building was built to house it ( Currently,Small Times Bakery; Hikes Point,Louisville)... for some reason, possibly financial, they very recently with drew. It was a great disappointment to our community. Possibly, there is a way to work with Norton Commons also as well as their Farmer s Market.. Contact is: Angela Hepner. (Link provides Tel number)

JJG Jr
Norton Commons
Prospect,Kentucky

I responded to Jim privately, but as he's also posted here, I should I suppose clarify a little more about what the process is for my bakery presently.

I don't have a pick-up site for my stuff. In the past, before I decided to rebuild my oven and before my health went to hell in a handbag, I baked once and sometimes twice a week and delivered once a week to all my clients in one fell swoop. Because the oven will not be finished now til spring, I will be baking bread very irregularly til then, but the concept is still the same. I deliver.
Last edited by C. Devlin on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Last edited by C. Devlin on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I've had a number of requests for my schedule, but the pm attachment function says it can't accept my word document attachment file.

So if you would, please also include a separate email address where I might forward the schedule.

Thanks.
Next