Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Excellent lunch at Mayan Cafe

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Excellent lunch at Mayan Cafe

by Leah S » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 am

After my first so-so lunch there about a month ago, we decided to try again. I truly, truly always enjoyed the food at the Mayan Gyspy. Four of us enjoyed a lunch that included a lot of lima beans. (That a good thing.) Three out of four of us had them. I can testify that they are different from the Gypsy version, with more lime now, and I think I like them better. The corncake was creamy and corny and delightful. Two of our party had the seafood bisque. As with the limas, it is different than the Gypsy version, and personally I like the Gypsy version much better. Seems like before, there were chunks of seafood where now everything is pretty shredded. The new version seems oranger, from cheese I presume. The previous version was creamier, maybe? Can anyone else help with their impressions?

SIL had the turkey mole and pronounced it yummy, although there was more eating than talking. He shared a black bean cake with daughter that looked quite good, but I couldn't get a fork anywhere near it.

Hubby and I shared a small slice of chocolate mousse cake served with strawberry sorbet and strawberry sauce. Quite good but I suspect not house made. But really, quite good. And if it is made inhouse, my compliments.

All in all it was a fine lunch and we'll be back. Business was good as the place was nearly filled at 12:30. The previous overly perky server was not in attendance. Our server was prompt, helpfully answered questions and earned a generous tip.

The Mayan Cafe is a great option for downtown dining. As before I'm sure it will quickly outgrow it's small size.
no avatar
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:45 am

My boyfriend and I were debating where to have lunch downtown yesterday and you inspired us to try Mayan Cafe. I had sadly never been to the Mayan Gypsy, but my boyfriend had been a big fan and was very excited when we first heard that Mayan Cafe was opening.

We both had the smoked salmon, egg, and cheese sandwich. I do wish that one of us had ordered something else so I'd have more to report on, but we agreed that the sandwiches were delicious. For dessert we had tres leches cake with an espresso sauce and sorbet, which was also very good, especially the sorbet.

I'm very much looking forward to going back for lunch and dinner and exploring the rest of the menu!