Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Day Trip - Bardstown?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Day Trip - Bardstown?

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:39 pm

We're on vacation this week, and are thinking of taking a day trip tomorrow. We were talking of taking a trip to Bardstown, maybe eating at Talbot's Tavern, and driving on to take a tour of Maker's Mark (never been there). I know it's last minute, but any other suggestions for a day trip, or other thoughts to do if we do hit Bardstown? We also thought about some of the local wineries. Just want to enjoy something local, but out of town. Weather is supposed to be beautiful, so we're looking forward to enjoying the day.
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

Re: Day Trip - Bardstown?

by Wayde H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 pm

From what I have heard the Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center is also nice and includes free tastings and tour.
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Grab a cup of KY Proud coffee from Steve and Kandi at the Java Joint right in the middle of downtown on Third Street (Bardstown Rd from Louisville). They are awesome folks!
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Kim,

I'd strongly second Wayde's recommendation. The Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center is wonderful, and the free tastings are very special in their barrel-shaped Tasting Room. (Now for the disclosure part: I was the Project Manager for the creation of the Center so I'm highly biased :wink: ) More info at: http://www.bourbonheritagecenter.com.

Other suggestions ( I spent a LOT of time around Bardstown):

Heaven Hill Trolley- departs from the downtown square for a tour of Bardstown.
Unfortunately I've never had a good meal at Talbott Tavern. Try Xaviers or Kreso's.
Drive out to Abbey of Gethsemani Visitor Center if you want peaceful contemplation

Oh, and drive Bardstown Road all the way down, rather than 65S- very nice drive in the country.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 pm

I've been to Talbott's, Maker's and Gethsemani. They are all great in their own way. You may even want to check out Saint Joseph Proto-Cathedral. Regardless of your faith (or not), it is a neat place to visit. Tours are available. Here is the history. http://www.stjoechurch.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 pm

If you opt to not head towards Bardstown, you could tour the Woodford Distillery in Versailles - much more intimate tour, and the buidings and surrounding area are gorgeous, especailly in the fall.

From either Bardstown (about 40 miles) and or Versailles (about 30 miles), Harrodsburg and the Beaumont Inn are pretty close - a nice place for dinner.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:From either Bardstown (about 40 miles) and or Versailles (about 30 miles), Harrodsburg and the Beaumont Inn are pretty close - a nice place for dinner.

We love Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg. A great place for a weekend getaway too.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the suggestions! We did go to Bardstown Friday. What a beautiful day it was! We generally take country roads when possible or practical, and the drive was lovely. At your all's suggestion, we toured Heaven Hill, and really enjoyed it. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and even though we had some understanding of the process, we learned a lot about bourbon-making, aging, the industry, and bourbon itself. One thing he said that I found interesting was the their is little competition among the distilleries until it hits the market. A lot of these distillers are related, and will distill, bottle, or whatever, if another distiller has some sort of malfunction or breakdown. Wish the rest of the world operated that way. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, and the Herritage center is beautiful.

We had dinner at Kreso's, also at your all's suggestions, and a girl at the Heratige Center wholeheartedly agreed with the recommendation. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, overall, but they could really use some new flooring. The service was great. It wasn't busy (it was Halloween night), and I didn't catch the name of the woman who waited on us, but she seemed to have a sense of ownership. Maybe the manager? Anyway... we started with the Bosnian salad, with the 'special vinaigrette' on the side. The salad was light and flavorful, and well balanced. I really enjoyed it. We shared our entrees of Weiner Schnitzel with buttered noodles; and Trout with a Lemon Wine Sauce, and a side of some sort of potato. We really wanted to try the Goulash, but they didn't have any that night. The Schnitzel was pretty good, not greasy or dry, but not a lot of flavor. The trout was nice, and the light buttery lemon sauce complemented it well. The potatoes were supposed to be scalloped, but they were rather dry, not very warm, and were served with a scoop, which I didn't expect with scalloped potatoes. They seemed more like coursely smashed potatoes than scalloped. Overall, it was a good meal. Not what I would consider a destination restaurant, but a decent place to eat when in Bardstown. I think we're just spoiled by all the great selections here in Louisville. (Also, not to nit-pick, but they really overdue the perfumey products. I had to unplug one of those Glade things that was in the outlet by our table, because the scent was interfering the enjoyment of our food. Same with the bathrooms - way too much deodorizer) Anyway, we really enoyed the trip, and would like check out Woodford Reserve, as Brad suggested. Even our guide at Heaven Hill mentioned how beautiful their grounds are.