Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gasthaus?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Gasthaus?

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:02 pm

We were considering going to Gasthaus for dinner sometime soon. I've never been, but heard it's good, and tis the season. Any suggestions as to what to try? My mom makes a mean sauerbraten that would be hard to top, although she's not German. Also, do they serve wine or beer? I don't see any listed on the menu. Seems to me that a German place that didn't serve beer would just be wrong.
no avatar
User

Garrett Hord

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Gasthaus?

by Garrett Hord » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Everything I have ever had has been wonderful. The fried potatoes remind me of my grandmothers, they are so good. Reserve a Strawberry Napoleon for dessert when you go in, it is incredible, all of the desserts are incredible. They do have beer and wine as well. I just love this place, it is truly German home cooking.
foodie
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:27 pm

We eat there once or twice a year. Usually around the holidays as that type of food seems better when it's cold out side. Everything is good especially the beef rolls, the sauerbraten, jagerschnitzal, and red cabbage. The spatzle is right on as well. They have a variety of German beers and wines. The last time we were there we had a wonderful spaatsburgunder (sp) (German Pinot Noir). Save room for the home made desserts...they really shine in this department. The black forest cake is the bomb.

Unfortunately there aren't that many options in quality German dining in Louisville. Erika's on Hurstbourne is an ok alternative. Our favorite was the Bavarian Dine Inn on Dixie. I miss that place in the worst way...like going to grandma's house.
Last edited by Mark Head on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Mark Head wrote: Our favorite was the Bavarian Dine Inn on Dixie. I miss that place in the worst way...like going to grandma's house.

I took my parents there when they came to visit me right after I moved here, back in the early 90's. I was a sales rep at the time, which required me to travel the city, and just happened upon it, even though I didn't live anywhere near it. I didn't have the inet or this board to help me discover cool, out of the way places like that! It didn't look like a lot from the outside, but the food was sooooo good. We go to Flabby's sometimes for their German plates, but haven't been to Gasthaus (even though it's very close to us), or Erika's. Craving some good German, so I appreciate all the suggestions! Sounds like we need to save room for dessert!
no avatar
User

Garrett Hord

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Louisville, KY

by Garrett Hord » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Kim, I wasn't kidding when I suggested you reserve a dessert when you go in. They often sell out of the more popular items. All of the desserts are made on premises and they make limited quantities.
foodie
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:51 am

Wow, that's some serious props for their dessert. We kind of got our fill on German today in Bardstown, and I'm thinking of making Sauerbrauten at home next weekend, so it might be a few weeks before we revisit the Gasthaus idea. And although I'm not a huge dessert person, I'll be sure to reserve our choice before we go here. Sounds like it's not to be missed!