Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Snappy Tomato Expanding?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Snappy Tomato Expanding?

by Kim H » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 pm

We drove through the outskirts of Cinci this past weekend, and noticed a Snappy Tomato outside of the city. Isn't this a local chain? Are they expanding? I've never had their pizza, but was surprised to see it outside of Louisville, and was curious as to what they're up to.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Snappy Tomato Expanding?

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm

According to their website, they are a Northern KY based franchise. http://www.snappytomato.com/mx/hm.asp?id=aboutus

I've never eaten there either, but have been told their pasta dishes are good. Take that for what it's worth.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Kim H wrote:We drove through the outskirts of Cinci this past weekend, and noticed a Snappy Tomato outside of the city. Isn't this a local chain? Are they expanding? I've never had their pizza, but was surprised to see it outside of Louisville, and was curious as to what they're up to.

As Doogy said, Snappy Tomato is a Northern Kentucky outfit that bought the short-lived Pizza Magia, which was on the ropes after Papa John's sued its founders for leaving PJs to start a new chain with a VERY similar product.

Frankly, the pie at Snappy Tom reminds me a lot of PJs, too ...
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 am

Guess I could've done my research before babbling on here, but thanks for the insight! I didn't know they were originally out of Northern KY, so that makes sense, and I do remember them taking over Pizza Magia now. I ordered sandwiches from there once that I liked, but that was it. Anyway, thanks!
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:33 am

Kim H wrote:We drove through the outskirts of Cinci this past weekend, and noticed a Snappy Tomato outside of the city. Isn't this a local chain? Are they expanding? I've never had their pizza, but was surprised to see it outside of Louisville, and was curious as to what they're up to.

Being from Cincy, there were several actually in Hamilton county during the early 90s if memory serves. Seems like they even took over many of the Spooner's pizza locations and for a while even offered 2 sauces, spooner sauce or snappy sauce. Too bad because Spooner's was very good.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:34 am

There was a Snappy Tomato in Walton (Boone Co) where my dad was from. It was fair, but it was the only thing around that area 10 - 15 years ago that we could walk to. No stop light - just a bar, drug store, law office, hair dresser & Snappy Tomato...
MissChele
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 pm

If a chain from that area was gonna expand here why coudlnt it be LaRosa's?
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Oh, I haven't had them for YEARS, but I think used to really like them. That would be fun to have again. Is that the pizza they serve at King's Island?
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:48 pm

My brother-in-law checked into opening a La Rosa's......franchise fees were super-crazy.
BShep
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:My brother-in-law checked into opening a La Rosa's......franchise fees were super-crazy.

That's a shame.

And to whom asked above, yes it is the same pizza from King's Island.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

Here in Brandenburg

by Vince Yustas » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:42 am

They just opened a store here in Brandenburg, making that 2 delivery pizza chains in town (Domino's being the other after having run our local Pizza Tonight out of business). Their attempted niche is that they also have a "Take 'n' Bake" pizza which is identical in concept (and design) to Papa Murphy's with the difference being that, in addition to pick-up, you can get it delivered unbaked to do it up at home. The are very similar to PJ's but the sauce is not nearly as sweet. Good pie (for this part of the country :wink: ).
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:31 am

Interesting because Cincy is a bigger town and being from there I have noticed the pizza in Louisville is much better. I grew up on LaRosas but they can't really compete with a Boombozz.