Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Al Watan RULZ!!!

no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Al Watan RULZ!!!

by Doogy R » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Is it still open? Their website is dead. I called their phone number and it just kept ringing.
Last edited by Doogy R on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Alwatan?

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 am

Doogy R wrote:Is it still open? Their website is dead. I called their phone number and it just kept ringing.

I would sure like to see more info on this, Doogy. Web servers go down, and phones go un-answered. Three beeps and "This line has been disconnected" would be of greater concern to me, but the points you've posted, while worrisome, seem to fall a little short of justifying an "is it closed" post. Let's keep trying the phone during business hours today, and if anyone who's in the area can get by there for a visual check, I would much prefer not to leave this one standing in unconfirmed rumor status for long.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Al Watan RULZ!!!

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Is it still open? Their website is dead. I called their phone number and it just kept ringing.

I would sure like to see more info on this, Doogy. Web servers go down, and phones go un-answered. Three beeps and "This line has been disconnected" would be of greater concern to me, but the points you've posted, while worrisome, seem to fall a little short of justifying an "is it closed" post. Let's keep trying the phone during business hours today, and if anyone who's in the area can get by there for a visual check, I would much prefer not to leave this one standing in unconfirmed rumor status for long.

This is an "is it open" post. I never said a thing about it being closed. I just called them again and the phone kept ringing. I will continue calling throughout the day and post my findings here. I didn't intend to start any rumor. That's not how I roll.
Last edited by Doogy R on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 am

I'm headed over there for pita today ... I'll check the restaurant.
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 am

Just got off the phone with them. The bakery is open 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. The restaurant is open from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM. 458-6000 for the bakery and 454-4406 for the restaurant.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 am

Al Watan is alive and well - both the grocer and the restaurant. The restaurant is closed on Monday, but open every other day of the week. The Kefta sandwich is just as delicious as ever (even if it does have to be cut into baby bites for me)! The Baba Ganouge (chunky variety) is still my favorite dish ... it is totally addicting. Lots of delicious food for incredibly reasonable prices.; well worth the drive to 3713 Klondike Lane.
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Al Watan RULZ!!!

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Just got off the phone with them. The bakery is open 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. The restaurant is open from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM. 458-6000 for the bakery and 454-4406 for the restaurant.

Thanks Ed, that's awesome. I plan on having a dinner date there tomorrow.
Last edited by Doogy R on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Al Watan RULZ!!!

by Doogy R » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Just got off the phone with them. The bakery is open 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. The restaurant is open from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM. 458-6000 for the bakery and 454-4406 for the restaurant.

I ate there tonight. The sign on the door says their hours are Tues-Sun 10am - 9pm. The menu also states the same days and hours. I won't get too detailed but the Foul was awesome and the lamb gyro platter was incredible. One thing I really enjoyed was the dish of 4 tasty treats they bring you right away, and it's free of charge. I also perused the grocery next door and found some sumac. I had been searching everywhere for that. A whole pound for $3.59. That is a real bargain.
Last edited by Doogy R on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Al Watan is alive and well

by Mark Head » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Foul?
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Al Watan RULZ!!!

by Doogy R » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Mark Head wrote:Foul?

Fava beans mixed with spices. It's pronounced FOOL. I had never had it before and now have a new favorite dish. The beans are cooked to a mushy texture with a mixture of spices. It's almost like a meatless stew. I believe I detected some cumin and cardamon. There was also some sort of citrus present. Maybe even some onion and tomato. A lot of parsley was served on top along with some olive oil. When I first tasted the foul, it was sour. As I ate more and more the taste and texture really grew on me. My guest found it to be totally detestable. The good news is that meant more for me.