Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chattanooga for dinner this weekend

no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

Chattanooga for dinner this weekend

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 pm

A friend who likes to eat well is going to be in Chattanooga for the weekend. Anyone have an idea of where to go for a great dinner? Her family owns a restaurant in Colorado that works with local, seasonal foods. In town, she likes Le Relais and Jack's for short order. Thanks!CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Chattanooga for dinner this weekend

by Doogy R » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Catherine Davidson wrote:A friend who likes to eat well is going to be in Chattanooga for the weekend. Anyone have an idea of where to go for a great dinner? Her family owns a restaurant in Colorado that works with local, seasonal foods. In town, she likes Le Relais and Jack's for short order. Thanks!CD

This is my fave down there. http://www.acropolisgrill.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 pm

We were there recently. We ate at several good places. For pizza - Mellow Mushroom was great. A good microbrewery for a casual meal was Big River Grille and Brewery.

The Blue Plate is right near the river. It's a funky diner kind of place. My very picky husband liked it. I like the selection of vegetarian sides, but I'll have to admit I didn't end up eating them. I got a sudden, severe headache so we packed up and went back to our fridgeless hotel. I reluctantly ended up throwing my food away, but I want to go back to try it again.

I can't offer any fine dining choices, but maybe someone else can. We obviously stayed in the downtown vicinity. I dunno what may be off the beaten track...
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 pm

I actually still live in Chatt, or my wife and home are there anyway. We moved there in 93'.

I'll list some restaurants in order of fine dining to causual.

St John's
212 Market
Hennen's
Blue Water Grill
Easy Seafood
Food Works

The last 4 are causual +, you can wear jeans to formal. Blue Water Grill is our favorite. Blue Water and Easy Seafood have daily supplies of fresh seafood.

Someone mentioned Big River Grill, ok food good beer, fun. Blue Water Grill is a new concept by Big River. Right next door.
All except Food Works are downtown, they are across the river in north Chattanooga. You can stand in one spot downtown and see 212, Hennen's, Easy Seafood, and Blue Water at the same time. Also The Blue Plate and Mellow Mushroom.
And they all are in the shadow of the Chattanooga Aquarium.

These restaurants would all fit nicely on Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave. All of the restaurants are in old renovated buildings/warehouses.
St John's is located in the lobby of the old St John hotel, with bar and seating in lobby and a big staircase that goes up to landing/seating over looking the lobby. Owner/chef at Easy Seafood was once the chef at St Johns.

You should be able to google them and get a web site. Hope this helps.
ps I'm actually going to Chatt. this weekend also. Yea!
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks everyone. The St. John's menu looks awesome. Now I wish I were going. 8) Wes what do you think about Aretha's, Rembrandt's and the Back Inn Cafe?
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:22 pm

Yes Back Inn is also a favorite, very nice. Sits on a bluff over looking the river. In an old mansion. Next to the Hunter art museum. It's great to sit outside. You still might be ok with that this weekend. Forecast highs in the low 70's. Not been to the other 2.
www.impellizzeris.com
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 am

I think Aretha's and Rembrandt's might be more about breakfast.
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for dinner recommendations for Chattnooga. My friends liked St. Johns/Meeting Place so much they went both Friday and Saturday nights. Evidently one side is casual. They compared it to Proof in menu and ambiance. I think I may need to taste it for myself! Road trip. :idea: CD
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:17 pm

I am glad your friend enjoyed Chattannoga. The wife and I enjoyed dinner at Blue Water Grill Sunday night. I had to get at least 1 night of home cooked food out of my 2 day trip home.
www.impellizzeris.com