Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Breakfast in the Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:16 am

Brian Curl wrote:People usually exchange information on this forum. I'm pretty sure about 99% of the people here would like to know why they shouldn't go to 360 as opposed to just don't go to 360

I'm in full agreement, Brian. The lack of specificity from Matt F. is surprising. I live a few blocks from Cafe 360, go there every now then, think I have discerning tastes, and don't harbor whatever ill will Matt does to that establishment. Honestly, I don't think their lunch/dinner food is great, but it's good and very inexpensive. I think their breakfast dishes are actually pretty good for simple, basic breakfast food (especially following a few too many the night before). No - I would't recommend it for a family sit down celebrate-something type of brunch, but for an inexpensive, pretty good breakfast at any hour, I see no issues with Cafe 360.

My biggest complaint (and that of most people I know) is that the service is absolutely dismal there. I often get breakfast as carry out, because on numerous occasions it's taken close to two hours to get a breakfast I could cook at home in 10 minutes. I won't defend them on that - the service is horrible and has been the whole time they've been open. They are understaffed when the place gets very busy, but I've been there when it's practically empty and it still holds true. I just don't think they try on the service part. Still, I don't think it's fair to tell people to avoid the place entirely like the plague.

It's also not a bad place to sit outside, have a drink, and people watch.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 am

Also - who doesn't like McDonald's breakfast? Seriously?
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 am

I grab breakfast at Mcdonald's farily regularly. Usually just an Egg Mcmuffin or Steak Mcskillet Burritto. Cheap, fast and decent.

Also, their new coffee drinks are pretty good. They have a pretty sophisticated machine so the employees don't mess them up. I've had they latte about 4 times and it's actually good, especially for the price.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:09 pm

The Cafe at Brent Street (next to Louisville Stoneware) has breakfast everyday until 11am on weekdays and until 1pm on weekends. On a nice day, you could walk down Bardstown Rd. & cut over toward St. Anthony's.

My husband and I had brunch there this past weekend for the first time. Everything, including the service was excellent. Although we arrived around 2pm, we were offered the breakfast options. Husband had the Strata del Giorno with meat. Essentially a breakfast casserole with spinach, tomatoes, onions, bacon, eggs, cheese etc. His portion was huge. Probably a 4 inch by 5 inch slab that also came with a nice house salad and a warm loaf of french bread. There's also a meatless version.

I opted for The Queen Anne sandwich - which is benedictine with fresh cucumbers, bacon and lettuce. My sandwich was also huge. I had to take half home. We also tried the roasted potatoes from the breakfast menu. Just as good as everything else. Along with our two iced teas, our meal came to approx. $22.00 I think I've found my new secret breakfast/lunch spot. Please don't tell anyone.

http://www.thecafetogo.com/menu.html
http://www.thecafetogo.com/breakfast.pdf
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm

i harbor no ill will, nor have i any agenda regarding cafe' 360 or any other place for that matter.
in years past i have become ill 2 of the 3 times i ate there. i have numerous friends that have as well.
i have been in for drinks at the bar and seen staff cleaning silverware with their tshirt, wiping glasses dry with an OBVIOUSLY filthy towel, been able to smell my bartender more than once, saw a mouse twice... inside, had to ask for a rag to clean off my table EVERY time i sat at one, been poured a shot of bourbon in a glass with a false bottom that held less than 1 ounce... i think ill stop there.
i was only trying to help someone avoid a bad experience based on the ones ive had... repeatedly. i dont think slinging mud is the same as discreetly nudging someone out of harms way, but since you wanted some details... there they are in all their shining glory.

edit: i just want to add that i am an avid supporter of independant local restaurants. i do not expect perfection, i am very forgiving, i overlook a lot of inconsequential flaws, and will return to a place multiple times before coming to my own conclusions.
if i were to have my way, the place would operate fresh and clean and make a million bucks a day.

also, i do not recognize anything mcdonalds serves as food.
k thx bai
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Matt F wrote:also, i do not recognize anything mcdonalds serves as food.

Oh my, you have never had a Sausage McMuffin with cheese. Actually, you must know nothing about McD's. Disclaimer, I was a manager at McD's for 21 years.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 am

Doogy R wrote:
Matt F wrote:also, i do not recognize anything mcdonalds serves as food.

Oh my, you have never had a Sausage McMuffin with cheese. Actually, you must know nothing about McD's. Disclaimer, I was a manager at McD's for 21 years.

Bacon egg and cheese. Oh yeah. I eat almost zero fast food ever, but the McD's breakfast still gets me.

Matt - thanks for expounding on your experiences at Cafe 360. I agree with you that discreet nudging is better and often more appropriate than lambasting a restaurant. However, your original statement regarding them was "whatever you do, wherever you go... no matter how much you may be tempted by location, availability, and price points... avoid cafe' 360." This strikes me as a little beyond "discreetly nudging someone out of harm's way," and I thought that if your experiences were bad enough to justify that statement, you should share them. If what you expounded on accurately describes your experiences there, then I see the reasons behind your statement.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:41 am

Tina M wrote:
Nimbus Couzin wrote:We're seriously considering doing a tofu scramble on Sundays.....

(also, we are pretty close to some other hot food additions for lunch, but more on that shortly, I'll keep ya posted)..

For the vegetarians in town it'd SURE BE NICE to have a tofu scramble, and because nobody else in town does it (that we've found) we might just have to do it ourselves..

So many "big city" things just don't seem to exist in Louisville. I know Northend has a tofu stir fry, close, but no cigar. Maybe everyone here just wants eggs.

I'll let ya'll know when we're starting. Figure two to three weeks from now!!! - Yikes, sounds like a commitment..well, revise, coming soon...

-Nimbus

Isn't there a veggie scramble at North End? Not that a closer location wouldn't be nice. ;)

There's almost no vegetarian substitutes for breakfast foods around here. No place serves soy bacon or faux sausage for breakfast. Everyone says it wouldnt work here but if done right it would. If the Chicago Diner can thrive for almost 30 years in meat crazy Chicago with an all vegetarian menu all day long, then some place here can afford to supplement their menu with good vegetarian breakfast alternatives.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:29 am

The North End serves Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties. And they serve a really excellent vegetarian biscuits and gravy.

My vegan friends frequently complain about the lack of a tofu scramble and vegan pancakes or french toast. I'm really surprised no one has put those items on the menu. The North End seems the logical choice to add a tofu scramble and a vegan pancake to their breakfast offerings since they already have a tofu stirfry on the menu. Maybe with enough encouragement they will.

I'd love to see a tofu scramble (and other food offerings) at Ray's since it's such a popular spot for coffee with our vegan friends with kids.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:56 am

Mike and Rebecca
Vegetarian and vegan breakfast food do not always have to be manufactured.

Take for example some of our breakfast items that are clearly marked on our menu

Gourmet Peanut butter Panini: with bananas and berries on Whole wheat. Vegan

Breakfast wrap: Spinach tortilla, scrambled eggs ,with provolone and cheddar cheeses, black beans, house made salsa. - Vegetarian

Grilled banana Walnut bread drizzled with honey cream cheese. leave off cheese- vegan

French Toast - thick sliced brioche with house made Blueberry basil syrup, and house made Mascarpone- we agonized for months about creating a vegan French but it just could not work. that is why we came up with the banana bread.

Hash, pan fried new potatos- with such things as shiitake mushrooms, onions tomato, cheddars, swiss, jalapenos, spicy brown mustard, or spicy tomato jam (house made) leave off the cheeses and voila! vegan, and delish. Folks are alway asking "what are they making back there? it smells so good" We tell them, and " ooh I am going to get that next time"

I personally think that folks who are vegan are being "taken" by all that manufactured fake stuff.
why put that in your body when you can be vegan and have fresh ingredients made to order anytime you want!
(well during the hours that we are open anyway.)

Bon Appetit! :wink:
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am

Heather Y wrote:Mike and Rebecca
Vegetarian and vegan breakfast food do not always have to be manufactured.

Take for example some of our breakfast items that are clearly marked on our menu

Gourmet Peanut butter Panini: with bananas and berries on Whole wheat. Vegan

Breakfast wrap: Spinach tortilla, scrambled eggs ,with provolone and cheddar cheeses, black beans, house made salsa. - Vegetarian

Grilled banana Walnut bread drizzled with honey cream cheese. leave off cheese- vegan

French Toast - thick sliced brioche with house made Blueberry basil syrup, and house made Mascarpone- we agonized for months about creating a vegan French but it just could not work. that is why we came up with the banana bread.

Hash, pan fried new potatos- with such things as shiitake mushrooms, onions tomato, cheddars, swiss, jalapenos, spicy brown mustard, or spicy tomato jam (house made) leave off the cheeses and voila! vegan, and delish. Folks are alway asking "what are they making back there? it smells so good" We tell them, and " ooh I am going to get that next time"

I personally think that folks who are vegan are being "taken" by all that manufactured fake stuff.
why put that in your body when you can be vegan and have fresh ingredients made to order anytime you want!

Ok Heather..sounds so good I'm coming for breakfast very soon. I'll bring the family as well.

I've personally never like vegan food that is faux meat. Eat meat or eat vegan....don't try self delusion. My son is veggie, not vegan, and it can be a challenge day in day out at home or not.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:32 am

Just to give a heads up..... we also have steak sandwiches, and chicken sausage scones sandwiches , and yes we have real bacon on our menu.
So there is Definitely something for everyone!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Heather Y wrote:"

It is possible to make make meats from scratch. I'm about to undertake making Faux Sausage after I get a grinder and make a batch of seitan just for it.

I havent attempted to make tempeh yet and do some facon.

And to the other person who commented on eating fake meat. It's an easy and familiar way to get protein. Some of us didnt give up meat because we hated the taste as well.

Just sayin'.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Heather Y wrote:Breakfast wrap: Spinach tortilla, scrambled eggs ,with provolone and cheddar cheeses, black beans, house made salsa. - Vegetarian

That wrap is da bomb! I love it!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks Robin, It's my favorite too.

I am not trying to disrespect or insult at all. Just sharing a little information, and giving my opinion.
Here is the ingredient list for Morningstar farms breakfast sausage.
I think that all these ingredients are completely unnecessary to satiate oneself at breakfast. there are egg whites and dairy product in them, so they are not vegan. if I cannot pronounce it..... I am not going to eat it.. IMHO eating this stuff negates the idea of eating for a healthy lifestyle.
Vegans and vegetarians are supposed to eat "as close to the ground as possible". I don't think it was meant as floor of manufacturing plant.

Mike, Seitan is made from wheat gluten, (which some people are allergic too and do not even know it). You might as well eat some bread

Morningstar Farms® Veggie Sausage Patties
Description:
Savory, sizzling veggie patties seasoned with herbs and spices.

Add to Shopping List

» View nutrition information
Sizes:
32 oz/24 ct, 8 oz/6 ct
Ingredients:
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG WHITES, CORN OIL, SODIUM CASEINATE, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LACTOSE, SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SODIUM PHOSPHATES (TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, TETRAPYROPHOSPHATE, HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, MONOPHOSPHATE), SALT, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CARAMEL COLOR, CELLULOSE GUM, WHEY POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DEXTROSE, ONION POWDER, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS SULFATE], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN B12), SUCCINIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, BREWERS YEAST, TORULA YEAST, SOY LECITHIN.
Allergen Information:
CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY, EGG AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
Dietary Exchange Per Serving:
1 Lean Meat
Kosher Status:
Kosher Dairy
PreviousNext