Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Breakfast in the Highlands

no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

Breakfast in the Highlands

by Jeremy Markle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 am

OK, we've done Twig & Leaf and Sweet & Savory. What are other breakfast spots in the Highlands, preferably close to Eastern Pkwy.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Re: Breakfast in the Highlands

by Sally M » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:07 am

Well, there's Lynn's of course. But for slightly off-beat you might like to try Cafe Beignet at Barret and Winter, a great walk from Eastern Pkwy.

The beignets are fabulous, and if you want to eat healthier than that, there's other breakfast choices, too - omelets, etc. Not a huge menu, though.

Or, there's Toast on Market. Not that close to Eastern Pkwy, but a fun place to have breakfast, especially outdoors in warm weather.

I'll leave the other options to the other posters. There are several more choices in the Highlands...
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 am

While I'm not a big fan on a regular basis, I think Dittos (Bardstown Rd. and Grinstead) has an excellent brunch. I know it's only on weekends, and I'm not sure if they have it Saturday and Sunday, or just Sunday. The eggs alla papa are fantastic, in my opinoin.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 am

Sally M wrote: a great walk from Eastern Pkwy.

Maybe I'm just showing my lazybones nature here, but I would caution anyone considering this walk that it involves a hike down and up a pretty steep valley along the wayl
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 am

Ramsi's is begininng to serve brunch soon, I hear.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 am

Go a little further out and try Wild Eggs. Best omelets in town. Located over by Jewish Hospital near to the Bed Bath and Beyond...
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Or you can make a turn, and head to Meridian Cafe!
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:31 pm

We're seriously considering doing a tofu scramble on Sundays.....

(also, we are pretty close to some other hot food additions for lunch, but more on that shortly, I'll keep ya posted)..

For the vegetarians in town it'd SURE BE NICE to have a tofu scramble, and because nobody else in town does it (that we've found) we might just have to do it ourselves..

So many "big city" things just don't seem to exist in Louisville. I know Northend has a tofu stir fry, close, but no cigar. Maybe everyone here just wants eggs.

I'll let ya'll know when we're starting. Figure two to three weeks from now!!! - Yikes, sounds like a commitment..well, revise, coming soon...

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 pm

whatever you do, wherever you go...
no matter how much you may be tempted by location, availability, and price points...
avoid cafe' 360
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:We're seriously considering doing a tofu scramble on Sundays.....

(also, we are pretty close to some other hot food additions for lunch, but more on that shortly, I'll keep ya posted)..

For the vegetarians in town it'd SURE BE NICE to have a tofu scramble, and because nobody else in town does it (that we've found) we might just have to do it ourselves..

So many "big city" things just don't seem to exist in Louisville. I know Northend has a tofu stir fry, close, but no cigar. Maybe everyone here just wants eggs.

I'll let ya'll know when we're starting. Figure two to three weeks from now!!! - Yikes, sounds like a commitment..well, revise, coming soon...

-Nimbus

Isn't there a veggie scramble at North End? Not that a closer location wouldn't be nice. ;)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:39 pm

whatever you do, wherever you go...
no matter how much you may be tempted by location, availability, and price points...
avoid cafe' 360

Personally, if I don't have something good to say I'm probably not going to say anything especially if it's unprovoked. But my goodness, if you're going to throw a place under the bus at least give specific reasons. Maybe you are correct but at least back up your statement with some specifics. By not doing so your statement seems more personal rather than an objective review.

I've never eaten there but they must be doing something right because they've been open at that location longer than the last three places combined.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 pm

North end does, as Nimbus said, a tofu stir fry I'm pretty sure, which is incredibly tasty, but not the same. I'd LOVE to be served a tofu scramble. Been a while, but I've made it for myself at home. I absolutely love eggs, but I have a hard time justifying all of the cholesterol in the yolk and just whites are so wasteful. I think tofu as a substitute is spot on tasty. Be fun to have a lengthy choice of stir-ins, too.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Huh. I could've sworn they had a scramble as well, but you're right. It's just a stir fry.
no avatar
User

Matt F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Louisville

by Matt F » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 am

Brian Curl wrote:whatever you do, wherever you go...
avoid cafe' 360

Personally, if I don't have something good to say I'm probably not going to say anything especially if it's unprovoked. But my goodness, if you're going to throw a place under the bus at least give specific reasons. Maybe you are correct but at least back up your statement with some specifics. By not doing so your statement seems more personal rather than an objective review.

I've never eaten there but they must be doing something right because they've been open at that location longer than the last three places combined.

so has the mcdonalds by mid-city mall, but i wouldnt suggest that someone go there for a good breakfast.
also, i loathe mcdonalds... but i would rather eat there than 360

go there once if you must, then you tell me what you think.

also, you didnt have anything good to say, but you said it anyway.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

~Tom Waits
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:26 am

People usually exchange information on this forum. I'm pretty sure about 99% of the people here would like to know why they shouldn't go to 360 as opposed to just don't go to 360
Next