Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Breakfast in the Highlands

no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Re: Breakfast in the Highlands

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Heather, yes I make Seitan regularly at home. I keep wheat gluten flour around the house for it.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Heather Y wrote:Thanks Robin, It's my favorite too.

I am not trying to disrespect or insult at all. Just sharing a little information, and giving my opinion.
Here is the ingredient list for Morningstar farms breakfast sausage.
I think that all these ingredients are completely unnecessary to satiate oneself at breakfast. there are egg whites and dairy product in them, so they are not vegan. if I cannot pronounce it..... I am not going to eat it.. IMHO eating this stuff negates the idea of eating for a healthy lifestyle.
Vegans and vegetarians are supposed to eat "as close to the ground as possible". I don't think it was meant as floor of manufacturing plant.

Mike, Seitan is made from wheat gluten, (which some people are allergic too and do not even know it). You might as well eat some bread

Morningstar Farms® Veggie Sausage Patties
Description:
Savory, sizzling veggie patties seasoned with herbs and spices.

Add to Shopping List

» View nutrition information
Sizes:
32 oz/24 ct, 8 oz/6 ct
Ingredients:
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG WHITES, CORN OIL, SODIUM CASEINATE, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LACTOSE, SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SODIUM PHOSPHATES (TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, TETRAPYROPHOSPHATE, HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, MONOPHOSPHATE), SALT, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CARAMEL COLOR, CELLULOSE GUM, WHEY POWDER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DEXTROSE, ONION POWDER, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS SULFATE], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN B12), SUCCINIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, BREWERS YEAST, TORULA YEAST, SOY LECITHIN.
Allergen Information:
CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY, EGG AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
Dietary Exchange Per Serving:
1 Lean Meat
Kosher Status:
Kosher Dairy

From a medical point of view...a lean piece of beef, pork, or chicken is healthier.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Mark Head wrote:From a medical point of view...a lean piece of beef, pork, or chicken is healthier.

If you get it direct form the farm. If it's from a plant it's a crap shoot.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Heather Y wrote:
Vegans and vegetarians are supposed to eat "as close to the ground as possible".

Mike, Seitan is made from wheat gluten, (which some people are allergic too and do not even know it). You might as well eat some bread

To the first line I chose, yes, if you're on the raw diet.

There's a little more protein and other sustenance to seitan that bread so "just eating bread" isnt quite the same effect. Many people are allergic to soy as well so does that discount Tofu?

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Vegans and vegetarians are supposed to eat "as close to the ground as possible".

Please don't make sweeping generalizations or try to profess what people should or should not eat. People make individual dietary choices for a variety of reasons. I would NEVER try to tell a carnivore what they should eat. I don't understand why it seems to be acceptable to try to do that for vegetarians or vegans.

If someone wants to eat Sietan, tempheh, tofu or god forbid a fake sausage patty - it's their choice.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:05 pm

"keep your words you are their master, let out your words, you are their slave" -?
Let me re phrase that, I was TAUGHT that Vegans, vegetarians are to "eat as close to the ground as possible"
Previous