Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Cheap eats near Iroquois High ??

by John Hagan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am

I have a class at Iroquois High on Monday nights. I was looking for a place to get some good eats before class, 6:00 or perhaps after 9:00. My budget requires that it be fairly inexpensive. Open to pretty much anything across the food spectrum.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cheap eats near Iroquois High ??

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 am

John Hagan wrote:I have a class at Iroquois High on Monday nights. I was looking for a place to get some good eats before class, 6:00 or perhaps after 9:00. My budget requires that it be fairly inexpensive. Open to pretty much anything across the food spectrum.

Vietnam Kitchen! And the other Vietnamese spots in the Iroquois neighborhood. You could pretty much walk from Iroquois High School to VK in the Iroquois Manor shopping center, or it would be maybe a two-minute drive.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:39 am

Robin beat me to it. My first response was going to be VK! Just go week after week and eat your way through the entire menu.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Can't go wrong with VK. The mere mention makes me salivate... :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Any one ever try Annie Cafe in that neck of the woods. A friend gave me a menu and a recomendation...I just have not made it over there to give it a shot. Obviously VK is a sure bet for good food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Mark Head wrote:Any one ever try Annie Cafe in that neck of the woods. A friend gave me a menu and a recomendation...I just have not made it over there to give it a shot. Obviously VK is a sure bet for good food.

Yeah, I like Annie Cafe a lot. Somewhat different vibe, but every bit as authentic and perhaps actually a little more friendly and sociable service. It's also on Woodlawn, a neat little urban block between Iroquois and Beechmont. VK is the go-to place, but I would not hesitate to recommend Annie Cafe as a worthy alternative.

It might be fun to do a fairly close comparison sometime.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:24 pm

What about the Cubano sandwich at ValuMarket. It is located at 3rd and Mitscher. It is funky good!!!!!!

It isn't more than a mile or so from Iroquois High.
BShep
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:38 pm

There's also a fairly decent little barbecue shack - I'm sorry I can't come up with its name - directly across South Third (?) from Colonial Gardens.
no avatar
User

Frank Wheatley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Louisville

by Frank Wheatley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:There's also a fairly decent little barbecue shack - I'm sorry I can't come up with its name - directly across South Third (?) from Colonial Gardens.

It is on Kenwood Drive, near New Cut (across from Colonial Gardens). I think it is called Jims BBQ.

Iroquois Pizza is on Manslick has a good pie. VK should be the first option, though.
Frank
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Actually it's called Jimbo's Bar-B-Que and I agree very good!!!!!
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks! Looks like the Vietnam Kitchen is the spot. I will be sure to check it out. Think I will have to try that Cuban as well.
Thanks again.
no avatar
User

JimmyShaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:30 am

by JimmyShaw » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 am

For a great Bosnian gyro head over to J&R Bakery next to the Kenwood Drive-In. Awesome deal and very good stuff. Pho Binh Minh on Strawberry Ln has some pretty good Vietnamese sandiwches for dirt cheap too. Another 5 minutes in the car gets you to Tuscany Italian on Outer Loop and New Cut where the Calzones are too good to pass up. The Cuban is mighty fine but I'm not a big fan of the chunks of fat they mix in with the pork or the blood pressure spiking amounts of salt they use.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am

JimmyShaw wrote:For a great Bosnian gyro head over to J&R Bakery next to the Kenwood Drive-In.

Not being a native here I dont where the Kenwood Drive-in is at...now if you are talking about the Bosna Mak/ Jasmine place I know what you mean. Just had another great gyros there yesterday.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 am

The Cuban at ValuMarket is my favorite sandwich in town.

Also, Thornberry's Deli is a very good/cheap place for a sandwich or soup.

They have a daily special as well (Meatloaf, Nachos, Beef Tips/Noodles, etc...)--------> Tuesdays is usually Chicken N Dumplins, and they are by far my favorite that I've had anywhere in town.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am

Apart from those already mentioned (I've been a regular at Annies and VK over the past few yrs), I ventured into the Sudanese restaurant (I forgot the name) across from Valumarket on the same lot (it used to be a Bosnian/Mexican place). I enjoyed the ambiance and the food was quite tasty. I had the fool (beans), rice and salad. IThe Cameroonian guy next to me at the bar had a good-looking baked chicken dish. If you enjoy a place were you sort of stand out for being the only non-African then I recommend you stop by.
James J. Natsis
Next