Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dallas Dining?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Dallas Dining?

by Kim H » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:11 pm

We are going to be in Dallas next week for business type reasons, and are looking for some good places to eat. Because it will be on the company, we have to keep it 'reasonable' (I don't have a quantification for that). We'll have some lunches, dinners, and 1 brunch. Also, want to hit a great Mexican/Southwestern restaurant if possible. Specifically, we will be in the Addison area, just slightly northwest of downtown. TIA
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Speaking of steak . . .

This probably won't work for you (20 miles away and not cheap), but for a real experience, head down the road to Grapevine:

Boi Na Braza Brazilian Churrascaria
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

SushiZushi

by Lisa Stephenson » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:44 pm

There's a great Sushi place on Oaklawn, which is a bit Northeast of downtown.
http://www.sushizushi.com/untitled/pages/about.html
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:33 pm

I remember reading about the Brazilian gaucho steak houses in an airline magazine several years ago, and always thought that would be so fun to check out. This place looks great, and I appreciate the tip! They told us of another Brazilian steak house like this that's closer to Addison, but I forget the name now. Do you know if this place is better than most?
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: SushiZushi

by Kim H » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Lisa Stephenson wrote:There's a great Sushi place on Oaklawn, which is a bit Northeast of downtown.
http://www.sushizushi.com/untitled/pages/about.html

Looks awesome, Lisa, thank you!! I'm a huge sushi fan, hubby, not so much. But I might be able to sneak this in for a lunch! :wink:
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 am

This might be what you're looking for http://www.fogodechao.com/
Wife has eaten here several times while in Dallas and raves about it. It's not inexpensive, but it's a production along with great food. I've yet to be in Dallas with her for this particular business trip, but I'd love to try it.

HTH-Doug

Kim H wrote:I remember reading about the Brazilian gaucho steak houses in an airline magazine several years ago, and always thought that would be so fun to check out. This place looks great, and I appreciate the tip! They told us of another Brazilian steak house like this that's closer to Addison, but I forget the name now. Do you know if this place is better than most?
[/url]
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm

This might be what you're looking for http://www.fogodechao.com/

Yes, that's the place I was thinking of, thanks! Might have to check that out, with a big appetite!
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Kim H wrote:I remember reading about the Brazilian gaucho steak houses in an airline magazine several years ago, and always thought that would be so fun to check out. This place looks great, and I appreciate the tip! They told us of another Brazilian steak house like this that's closer to Addison, but I forget the name now. Do you know if this place is better than most?

The concierge at the hotel we stayed at recommended Boi Na Braza over Fogo de Chao, and it was great. However, a Brazilian meat restaurant is a wonderful thing, period. Just go hungry.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Forget all that Brazil stuff...What about some good Texas BBQ.... :D
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:49 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Forget all that Brazil stuff...What about some good Texas BBQ.... :D

Clearly, a man who's never eaten at a Brazilian churrascuria. Hmm . . .

As for Texas BBQ, the really good stuff is south of Dallas: Lockhart, Llano, and places like that.

I'm 30 miles from the best BBQ in Texas right now and don't have time to get over there.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:58 pm

30 miles...that is not much go pig out....I mean beef out.... :D
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes, Texas BBQ might be another option! I was in Austin several years ago and ate the all-you-can-eat Q at The Salt Lick, and definitely got my money's worth! It was goooood. I've since seen it featured on a few different shows on the Food Network.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:41 pm

no avatar
User

cori c

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:17 pm

You are in Luck - I LIVE in Dallas

by cori c » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:43 pm

I am Louisville ex-pat who is now in Dallas. As you can see, I can't quite tear myself away from the food happenings in the Ville, but I am excited to help someone out in my temporarily adopted home. So, here are my thoughts... I won't give you addresses, you should be able to look them up and map them as you want. I have not been to all, so some are strictly recommended based on reputation. I will let you know which ones I have not been to. Most probably have webpages as well.

Let's start with Addison, since you will be there.

Fogo De Chao is an experience, but it is also a chain. I am pretty much providing strictly you can only find it in Dallas/TX suggestions.

Gloria's - Central/South American
Clay Pit Grill and Curry - modern Indian
Flying Fish - seafood (haven't been there)
Veuve - eclectic (haven't been there, but good buzz)
Mercy Wine Bar - eclectic (haven't been there, but good buzz)
Dream Cafe - eclectic, has some organic options. Possible brunch option.
Sambuca - eclectic
Truluck's - upscale steak and seafood

Tex Mex/Southwest preferences are pretty personal around these parts, but here are some that I like :). A lot of these have multiple locations, so you would just need to find your preferred location.

Blue Mesa Grille - has a pretty good brunch, too (more southwest) and an amazing "Dirty Margarita"
Blue Goose Cantina (more casual)
Mattito's - medium casual
Mi Cocina - little more upscale

Brunch options:
My top pic would be Breadwinners, hands' down.
Other suggestions are:
La Duni's (latin american)
Dream Cafe
Blue Mesa Grille

Cool area to visit with amazing restaurants (and home furnishing stores galore) - Knox-Henderson.

Cuba Libre (Cubanish)
Hector's on Henderson (very upscale eclectic)
Fireside Pies (gourmet pizza)
La Duni (upscale latin american with amazing desserts!!!)
Toulouse - French Bistro
Best Cellars - OK they really don't serve food, but they are great wine bar/store serving Mozzeralla Company cheeses. Great happy hour from 4 - 6 pm every day. They know me well there :)

BBQ - not really my area of expertise. The standard is Sonny Bryan's which ain't too bad. I also like Peggy Sue BBQ, which is University Park by SMU campus.

Few last eclectic, upscale suggestions that I haven't been to: Stephan Pyles, Fuse, Lola's. These are all in more of the Uptown/downtown area.

Feel free to ask me questions if you like. Hope this helps. Hope it isn't too much.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: You are in Luck - I LIVE in Dallas

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:48 am

cori c wrote:I am Louisville ex-pat who is now in Dallas. As you can see, I can't quite tear myself away from the food happenings in the Ville

Great report, Cori, and welcome home, virtually!

Just out of curiosity, have you been in Big D long enough to tell us how it compares to living in the Derby City, in terms of eateries as well as overall lifestyle?
Next