Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville Indian

no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Louisville Indian

by Daniel Raines » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:36 am

With the addition of several indian restaurants over the past year I was wondering what was everyone's favorite. Previously I was a big Kashmir fan (liked Shalimar and India Palace as well) and then my fav was Royal India. I tried Bombay Grill for buffet one day and thought it was okay, although I really enjoyed some of their South Indian specialties. I have not tried DakShin, Sitar or another place that I was thinking had opened in the past year.

What place do I need to try? :)
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: Louisville Indian

by Bill Veneman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:39 am

Dakshin is a MUST.......I was very impressed the two times I've been there........
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:50 am

Go to DakShin...I'm convinced they have some addictive substance they add to the food, ensuring slavish devotion. The rest are just not good enough after you try them...
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:56 am

Our current fav is Sitar. But we haven't made it out to DakShin yet. It's sooooo far out. whine.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:58 am

Dakshin is my fav for buffet. I used to go to Shalamar but it's been supplanted.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:13 am

But we haven't made it out to DakShin yet. It's sooooo far out. whine.

Yes, five miles from the Highlands is just hours away and too inconvenient. :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:32 am

Piling on, DakShin is by far the best for authentic Indian regional cuisines. And it's not that far out - as Brian said, five miles out Bardstown from the Highlands. I measure it as nine from Crescent Hill, but that's because you have to circle around the parks.

Sitar is my current favorite for in-town. I think it surpasses Shalimar and Kashmir; and Sage, which replaced the short-lived Royal India, hasn't found its footing yet.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 am

The hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed Sitar. The food was so good!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm a big fan of Sitar's lunch buffet, haven't been there for dinner yet. I think there was some sort of coupon for the buffet in Velocity last week, too (pretty much the only reason to pick up a copy, imo).
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Have not tried DakShin yet. Whereas some people consider it a far ride, it's a chance for me to "go back to the neighborhood." My parents live in the area, so I'm sure my Mom and I will dine there soon. Mom even called me this weekend to tell me that the CJ had reviewed DakShin and to remind me that we needed to get there soon.

I haven't tried any of the other new locations so I'm not going to name my favorite. The gf likes to dine "al fresco," so we've long been happy patrons of Kashmir. The food is good, but that in no way compares it to the other places I have not tried.

There's a certain balance between having "tried and true" favorites and risking a trip to "the new place." I tried one of the new-ish sushi joints in town this weekend. I had a perfectly fine dinner, but I think I'll return to Maido next time. I wish I had more money (or Robin's job) and then I could try everything without fear.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:55 pm

My husband and I have become huge fans of Bombay Grill. I've never buffeted there - don't think a buffet ever shows off the best a restaurant can do - but we carry out often. Many unusual dishes that we love. The chicken chettinad, rice hyderbadi, and dosai are current favorites. There is an appetizer called Bombay Bhel phuri, that is puffed rice, cilantro, spices, tomato, and chutney that is just wonderful. Doesn't read wonderful but it is room temp and a lovely little dish. I had the chicken tikka masala last night and it was outstanding. Next thing we are going to try is the uthappam but want to do it on a night we are eating at the restaurant, rather than carry-out. Being a denizen of the northeast 'burbs, I'm so happy to have something closer than Bardstown Rd. Never been a big Shalimar fan, and India Palace on Shelbyville Rd. has always been just so-so.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Brian Curl wrote:But we haven't made it out to DakShin yet. It's sooooo far out. whine.

Yes, five miles from the Highlands is just hours away and too inconvenient. :lol:

Thanks, but I don't live in the Highlands.

MapQuest says 11.22 miles one way, so I'm going to have to be headed out in that general direction. We'll get there soon, I'm sure.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm

I've tried them all and still enjoy India Palace. There are a lot of choices, the food looks good, and they seem to be consistant. I've tried Dakshin several times. It is good but they get a little to "out there" with their dishes that quite frankly are not all that good. They are creative, and it is close to my home, but India Palace is still the best in my opinion. That all said, the beauty is that there are a growing number of Indian choices and I am enjoying making the rounds!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 pm

IMO Dakshin is the leader of the pack. The food tastes fresher and has a depth that goes beyond just being spicey. YMMV
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:37 pm

We've only eaten there once, but we loved DakShin. The buffet had a great variety of items, and all the flavors just popped! I'm anxious to go back, and it has inspired me to want to learn to cook more Indian food at home.
Next