Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Speakeasy's unfortunate demise, but good prospects in NA.

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:51 pm

There's supposed to be a final big band bash at the Speakeasy on Wednesday, October 29, and in case anyone reading this decides to attend, take a glance to the south and note the spanking new YMCA on the corner of State and Main (opposite Schmitt Furniture).

The missus and me toured the facility yesterday and purchased memberships. So far, the Southern Indiana YMCA is estimating that several thousand people a week will be using the Y in some form or another. The property housing the Speakeasy is perfectly placed to take advantage of proximity.

I don't have a dog in this hunt other than knowing all the parties involved, and I lament the Speakeasy's passing. But, it's time for next. If NABC were not already pursuing brewing expansion elsewhere downtown, and if we wanted to do another location sans brewery, I'd be strongly considering this building.

In other downtown New Albany news, Dave Himmel's bar, Connor's Place has reopened on Market opposite his Fish House. Toast II will be on the same block soon, as is Windsor (former Bistro New Albany -- sniff), which has the opening of its remodeled bar on November 12. The new NABC will be roughly two blocks away once we finalize financing, and River City Winery less than a block from the Connor's Place front door. And there is Studio's and South Side, on Main Street. All these places are a short walk away from the building housing Speakeasy. We're cognizant of the challenges in downtown New Albany, but we have people determined to meet them, and we persist in thinking that we're headed the right direction.

Off my soap box now. Carry on!
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Speakeasy's unfortunate demise, but good prospects in NA.

by Karen H » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Isn't that where David Clancy said he was now?
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:07 am

Karen H wrote:Isn't that where David Clancy said he was now?
Yes! But life, much like our economy is precarious and you never know how things will play out....wish I had a crystal ball these days!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:58 am

I, too, am sorry to see the Speakeasy go. A fullfledged jazz venue in New Albany is a rare privelege, and the Wednesday Big Band dances will be missed. I remain positive, though, as the opening of more and more restaurants (and other businesses) in our community create an increasingly dynamic vibe. There will always be the ocassional loss here and there, but overall I feel that downtown New Albany is finally beginning to find its stride, and I look forward to the days to come.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:11 am

Isaac F wrote:I, too, am sorry to see the Speakeasy go. A fullfledged jazz venue in New Albany is a rare privelege, and the Wednesday Big Band dances will be missed. I remain positive, though, as the opening of more and more restaurants (and other businesses) in our community create an increasingly dynamic vibe. There will always be the ocassional loss here and there, but overall I feel that downtown New Albany is finally beginning to find its stride, and I look forward to the days to come.
Hi Isaac! (get some sleep...wanka!). If I wasn't destitute, I would buy into the Speakeasy as it is a great concept with huge potential and I hate to see it dissolve in this way. You are correct however in that New Albany is on the upswing and good stuff is happening (you're new bar looks bitchen by the way!). Stop in and see me manana-Dave
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:52 am

damn Clancy
you'll have to come out for beer and a pie
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699