Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB Nibbles: Award-winning chili at Café Lou Lou

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes.com

Café Lou Lou Pastry Chef Marsha Lynch and Sous Chef Mark Johnson whipped up a batch of chili for the eighth annual Phoenix Hill Chili Cookoff recently, and it impressed the judges so much that they gave it the grand prize.

Lynch (who also pens the monthly Industry Standard article within this column) said she can't reveal everything that's in it, but gave credit for its bodacious numminess to such goodies as house-made hot sausage from Frank's Meats, plus dark red kidney beans and black beans, habanero chile powder, chipotles en adobo, roasted corn kernels, masa harina and more. But no spaghetti. Absolutely not. Lynch considers that local custom a perversion.

The chili went on the menu at Café Lou Lou last Thursday and will remain as a special while supplies last.

Café Lou Lou
106 Sears Ave.
893-7776
http://www.cafeloulou.com

Read the complete report [url=http://www.leoweekly.com/arts-entertainment/food-drink/small-bites-add-fine-dinner-de-la-torre’s]in LEO[/url] (page down to the end) and on LouisvilleHotBytes.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: LEO/LHB Nibbles: Award-winning chili at Café Lou Lou

by Marsha L. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:27 pm

We've run through three giant batches in the last week, and there is none in house right now. When we make more, I'll let you guys know.

Should we make more?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Marsha L. wrote:We've run through three giant batches in the last week, and there is none in house right now. When we make more, I'll let you guys know.

Should we make more?

I stopped in for a couple bowls the other day and ,yes, you should!

Balanced, yet complex, there's something in this chilli that appeals to everyone...
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:42 pm

Yes, please make more. I think it is something I can eat!! :)
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh, hey - I think it's "eighteenth annual", instead of eighth. It's a real institution on the chili circuit in Louisville!
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Oh, hey - I think it's "eighteenth annual", instead of eighth. It's a real institution on the chili circuit in Louisville!

Huh! I do believe I copied "Eighth" off the green blackboard at Cafe Lou Lou. :twisted: (I could be proven wrong, though ... )
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Marsha- what a great picture of your svelt self. I can hardly see you behind the trophy.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Marsha L. wrote:Oh, hey - I think it's "eighteenth annual", instead of eighth. It's a real institution on the chili circuit in Louisville!

Huh! I do believe I copied "Eighth" off the green blackboard at Cafe Lou Lou. :twisted: (I could be proven wrong, though ... )

Mercy, I hope not! I'm the one that does the chalkboard art/specials postings on the board. Of course, it had been a long, eventful week...and 8) a few brain cells were discarded along the way.

Gary, you're killing me *sucks stomach in*
Marsha Lynch