Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Cumberland Ray's Espresso Stout now on tap

by Nimbus Couzin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to announce that the "Cumberland Ray's Espresso Stout" is now on tap at Ray's Monkey House Coffeeshop. Very cool and we're excited.

We added Nicaraguan coffee during the boil, and then I cold-brewed some Ethiopian Sidamo Korate which was added during the cold conditioning (post-fermentation). Of course, all the coffee was roasted with Fair Trade Organic beans.

Final product came out nicely. Roasty and chocolatey, with definite coffee flavor. Almost similar to an oatmeal stout in character. So come on by and check it out!

What is super cool about the stout is that I can point northwest towards the wall and say the beer was brewed about twenty feet away in that direction. I love that two businesses can collaborate the way Cumberland brews and us are doing. (creating a joint product with coffee that we roast and beer that they brew, all in house, and with our buildings a mere six feet apart -closer maybe).

I'll post an updated beer list here shortly. (I still need to type it up!)...

Cheers

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Cumberland Ray's Espresso Stout now on tap

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:49 am

Very excited to try it.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:50 am

I love coffee stouts. How much do you have? Are you going to have all winter? (hope so)
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 pm

If this is the same espresso stout they have next door at Cumberland Brews (which I assume it is), I had some last Saturday and it was excellent. Kudos.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Nimbus, the stout was excellent but I would recommend hot coffee infusion instead of the cold process.
you won't need to worry about high acidity because the natural sweetness of the stout will mask it but you will have a bolder coffee flavor.
Do you use either of these beans in your espresso blend or as single origin espressos?
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Nimbus, the stout was excellent but I would recommend hot coffee infusion instead of the cold process.
you won't need to worry about high acidity because the natural sweetness of the stout will mask it but you will have a bolder coffee flavor.
Do you use either of these beans in your espresso blend or as single origin espressos?

These are turning into great favorites of mine. I'm not sure if that's hedonistic, or pharmaceutical.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Matthew Crow wrote:Nimbus, the stout was excellent but I would recommend hot coffee infusion instead of the cold process.

These are turning into great favorites of mine. I'm not sure if that's hedonistic, or pharmaceutical.

Both.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:02 am

On technical side (to answer Matthew), yes, I agree that the acidity of the coffee shouldn't matter in a beer. We beer geeks know that beer is fairly acidic once the fermentation is complete (which is why no harmful bacteria or wild yeast grows effectively in it). And the flavor profile of a cold brewed coffee is radically different than that of a hot brewed (the normal way) coffee. As far as which turns out better in the final product, there is really only one way to find out. The cold brewing definitely does "mellow" out or soften the coffee, which may be favorable to some folks. Dunno. Balance is usually fairly trial and error, and all one does as a brewer is make educated guesses, tweak it, then try try again.

Also, yes, Cumberland had it on tap for awhile. I think it isn't on right now over there. Don't know what they're doing in terms of rotation, but we do have it. The supply is limited, but it should be ongoing (they'll brew more as needed). I'd like to carry it year-round, so if we can maintain a bit of volume that should be possible. I think Mark is cool with that...

I personally think stouts should be a year-round drink. None of this seasonal stuff...

Cheers,

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:42 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:I personally think stouts should be a year-round drink. None of this seasonal stuff...

You are so right about this.
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:15 am

Nimbus Couzin wrote:I personally think stouts should be a year-round drink. None of this seasonal stuff...

Amen, brother!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:30 am

I'm on that, too. The great thing is that there are different styles of stout, one of which is suitable for any occasion. I can recall drinking oatmeal stout with barbecue during high summer, outside. The Liteweights will never get to experience that olfactory joy ... pity.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana