Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Murrays' in Lexington

User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Murrays' in Lexington

by Brad Keeton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm

My wife and I went to Keeneland on Saturday, and headed to Murrays' on Harrodsburg Road after for an early dinner. The meal was great, and definitely worth a return visit. I was at that location a few years ago when it was the Homestead, but in its current form Murrays' was impressive. It is owned by the same folks that run the Merrick Inn, and is a short drive from Keeneland. Though it was too chilly for us to enjoy it, Murrays' has by far the most impressive patio I've ever seen.

We weren't that hungry, especially me after my 4pm burgoo at Keeneland, so everything was a split. The artichoke and rock shrimp dip was a good way to start, though a bit light on the shrimp. The iceberg wedge was very good, and rivaled my favorite iceberg wedge ever at Uptown. The lettuce was crisp and the bacon perfect. The dressing was wonderful, but there was a bit too much of it.

For our entree, we split the black angus ribeye. Murrays' does an interesting split for entrees. They charge an $8 split fee, but everything is divided on separate plates, the portions are slightly larger, and you get three "family style" sides instead of the usual two. The steak was good quality and cooked as we ordered, but mine had too much fat. My wife's was much better. The horseradish dipping sauce was very good, as was the huge onion ring on top. We chose the corn pudding, cheese grits, and broccoli cassarole, and, as these types of sides go, were rivaled only by those at the Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg.

All in all, a great meal. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu, but he misprounounced a few things (notably struggling heavily with one of the specials, langostino lobster). The restaurant is in an old farmhouse, with a very impressive bar area. Again, amazing patio. It is definitely a great post-Keeneland spot for an early dinner due to its close proximity (and ease of return to I-64 via Versailles).

http://www.murrays-merrick.com/
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown