Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Spinelli's Stepping Things Up

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Spinelli's Stepping Things Up

by RonnieD » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:33 am

A year ago the wife and I considered Spinelli's the go-to when it came to pizza and sandwiches, especially after hours. They were local, the pie was huge and good, and the sandwiches were always well made. Then things started to slide. The pizzas would arrive burnt on the bottom, the sandwiches would arrive with half of their intended ingredients or perhaps not even as ordered if they showed up at all. (Only once, but still very disappointing and inexcusable) Disillusioned we gave Spinelli's a six month vacation.

Tonight, we braved the waters again and I have to say we are both rather impressed. Still gun-shy on the pizzas, we ordered sandwiches, the wife an Italian Hoagie, and myself a Cheeseteak Hoagie. My sandwich was back to par, with plenty of lettuce and tomato, mayonnaise and steak. The cheese was a little light, and I was not asked if I wanted Cheez Whiz or American, I assume they picked American for me, but overall, it was just as good as it was before the slide. My wife's Italian, however, was incredible. As you may know, Spinelli's sandwiches come wrapped in foil, sometimes this causes the later unwrapped sandwich to look like it was ran over by a truck, sometimes not, but when my wife unwrapped her hoagie, the thing was a piece of culinary artistry. A truly beautiful sandwich (had she not eaten it, I would have submitted a picture for approval). Not only did it present well, post-delivery, but it was exceptionally well made. Previous unspectacular hoagies looked more akin to their sad Subway cousins, but this baby featured fresh cuts of meat that suggested that they came off a real ham and not a water-injected, processed "ham," SLICED tomato and lettuce (Not the typical rough chopped and shredded fare that once adored this sandwich) and thick slices of cheese. We were both terribly impressed, and my wife said it tasted as good as it looked.

So score one for Spinelli's taking their game back up a notch. I'm still not 100% sold, what with the pizzas still untested, but this first foray was extremely encouraging and we will try again.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

Re: Spinelli's Stepping Things Up

by BrianW » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:46 am

That's good to hear! Anyone know if the spot out on Goose Creek has ever opened?
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:08 am

It has remained in a suspended state of construction for the entire year I've worked next to it.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 am

BrianW wrote:That's good to hear! Anyone know if the spot out on Goose Creek has ever opened?

I dont think that one will be opening, ever.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Does anyone know what ever happened to Goose Creek that It didn't open?...We are right around the corner and I was hoping for some good sandwiches.

Thanks,
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm

RonnieD wrote: I'm still not 100% sold, what with the pizzas still untested, but this first foray was extremely encouraging and we will try again.

The pizza is much better than it used to be. Every now and then I find myself out and about in the wee-hours, in that area, and have had a few late night pies there over the past few years. You were spot on with the timing of the downturn, but over the past 2 months, I've been there 2 or 3 times and have enjoyed it.

I remember not long ago that the key to a good slice there was to order something bizarre that hadn't been made already and sitting in the heater for 45 minutes. Forcing them to make a fresh pie guranteed a good slice. I'm not sure this is necessary anymore.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:00 pm

GaryF wrote:It has remained in a suspended state of construction for the entire year I've worked next to it.

I cross through the intersection several times a day and noticed something going on last week. (Ladders, trucks etc...) Hard to say if it was construction. I know putting up their sign, tagging the entire area with bad graffiti, then sitting empty for 13 months hasn't made me want to be the 1st customer in line.

I worked for a business nearby which routinely pays for graffiti to be painted over. Actually, WE ALL pay since the city reimburses some of the cost. I guess that's why the look doesn't appeal to me. It could be a really cool indy restaurant row. (La Perla, Goosecreek Diner, Wicks, Seviche)
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Isn't La Perla closed as well?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Mark Head wrote:Isn't La Perla closed as well?

La Perla moved to Preston. I hope the one out there is going strong, but i have to confess I haven't been out that way for a while.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:16 pm

I've never had a Spinelli's pizza that's been fully cooked. They always seem underdone, even when we've asked for them to be well done. Still haven't tried their sandwiches, I'm pretty skeptical of any cheesesteaks that aren't from Pat's in Philly.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Though I should say, the cheesesteaks at the Zeppelin Cafe are okay. Not as amazing as Pat's but no place else is!
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Ronnie, I'm really glad you enjoyed your sandwich but, anything with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on it is NOT a Cheese Steak!
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Neal M wrote:Ronnie, I'm really glad you enjoyed your sandwich but, anything with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on it is NOT a Cheese Steak!
I agree, but I think he said cheese steak hoagie. Spinellis does make both a cheese steak and a cheese steak "hoagie".
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Cheese steak hoagies are very popular in Philly,and they are delicious!
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Neal M wrote:Ronnie, I'm really glad you enjoyed your sandwich but, anything with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on it is NOT a Cheese Steak!

I reckon that would be like saying if chili has beans and/or pasta in it, then it isn't chili. :wink:
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.