Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Eric McKendrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am

Restaurants in Brown County

by Eric McKendrick » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 am

I'm taking a trip to Brown County in Nashville, Indiana and was hoping someone might have some restaurant suggestions. My only criteria is quality food, i'm open to all types.
no avatar
User

Leah A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Elizabethtown

Re: Restaurants in Brown County

by Leah A » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:13 am

I would try Farm or Tallent in Bloomington not too far away. I haven't been to either but they are on "my list".
I've heard Farm is a bit over-rated so I would lean towards Tallent.

http://www.farm-bloomington.com/

http://www.restauranttallent.com/
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:58 am

You can stroll around Nashville, Indiana and find a variety of restaurants, ranging from fast-food to full-service dining....The "Artists' Colony Inn" has a very good restaurant (check their website); many think that the old reliable "Nashville House" has become too pricey, but if you're in the mood for country "comfort" cooking, it may be the place for you.....I haven't eaten at the Nashville House for a few years, but during the peak fall season I recall that it could be a long wait for a table (esp. on weekends), so many put their names on the waitlist, then tour the town and come back later....
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:29 am

We love Brown County. I used to go to a conference there every January and now we go several time a year. in fact, we are going there in a couple of weeks.

Here is a list of restaurants from the Brown County CVB:

http://browncounty.com/listings/index.cfm?catID=30&listhome=1

Our favorites are the Artist Colony and the Hobnob. We also like the Ordinary. We have gone to Bloomington, but there is so much there, we save Bloomington for it's own trip. :)
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:33 am

I second Farm Bloomington! Don't forget to check out the the "root Cellar" in the basement! It is a cozy little place where you can have an after dinner drink (s), and relax. That made me realize I am due for another visit!

http://www.farm-bloomington.com/farmhome.html
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:38 pm

It might be just a tradition left over from childhood, but I pretty much always dine at the Nashville House when I go. I can't get enough of the deep fried biscuits and apple butter!
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Just be prepared to spend $10+ for a basic hamburger if you decide to dine in Nashville, they got your number (figuratively and literally) unless the Dairy Queen is your choice. We drive over to Bloomington to eat at Bucettos (locally known as Pucinis) and then take the backroads south through Bedford to get home.

Edit: I just remembered, in the little mall/plaza coming into town on 46 there's a Pizza King! Get one with double sausage and pep but never ever get extra cheese on a PK.
Last edited by BrianW on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:26 pm

We ate at the Artist Colony Inn when we went. The food was good, and the portions were huge. Of course, we had the baby with us and they shoved us as far away from people as humanly possible. Needless to say it ruined the whole experience for me. But if we're just going on food, it was yummy and fast.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:42 am

We love Nashville, but do NOT go for the food! The Nashville House fried biscuits are good (like Hubers), but we had wanted a relaxing dinner and there are no appetizers (it was cold out, and we were dying for some soup), chicken was adequate, etc. Huge portions, but maybe two-star food?

Best place we found was Hobnob Corner. Not a large menu, but wonderful breakfasts, and maybe up to 2.5 star lunch/dinners.

Artists Colony was fine, but (if I remember) no liquor. A little more upscale, but nothing to warrant a special trip.

Go for the scenery, hit the Opry after dinner and have some very good chocolates while seeing the show, and don't look forward to dinner.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am

Not sure if it's still there, but Maldonado's had excellent Mexican food when my family visited the area several years ago. My hubby STILL talks about how good it was...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

by BrianW » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am

Maldanado's was under a new name when we went to the Little Opry last month, still mexican but otherwise a question?
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
no avatar
User

Cindy S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm

by Cindy S » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Hello,

This is my first time posting. I have enjoyed reading the forum for quite a while, but I just had to share the Story Inn. Took my mom to Brown County last Friday and had lunch at the Story Inn, at the recommendation of friends. I felt it was well worth the additional 20-minute drive off the main highway. A little step back in time. They have some history and the menu on their web site.

http://www.storyinn.com/
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 am

andrew mellman wrote:Best place we found was Hobnob Corner. Not a large menu, but wonderful breakfasts, and maybe up to 2.5 star lunch/dinners.

Agree on the Hobnob Corner, but try to go on the "off hours" for lunch or else you'll have a long wait -- and they surely don't charge ten bucks for a hamburger.

Highly recommend the restaurant in the Seasons Lodge. It's on the right coming in on 46 from I-65 just before you get to the end at 135 (it's above street level). We always make it a point to dine there. The atmosphere is ever so slightly upscale but jeans casual with an excellent live pianist at night. Food is excellent, well-prepared and presented with a very good salad bar as well. It's basically American cuisine with a country flair.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:02 am

I haven't been myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about Restaurant Tallent in Bloomington.
no avatar
User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

by PaigeM » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Cindy S wrote:I just had to share the Story Inn. They have some history and the menu on their web site.

They also have a pretty good sense of humor on that Web site! The tagline is "One inconvenient location since 1851." And the directions page actually has two sets of directions (see below). I'm crackin' up -- now I've gotta check this place out!

Directions from Nashville for men: Drive three miles East on SR46/135. Turn right (South) at the SR46/135 split, onto 135 South, and proceed ten more miles.

Directions from Nashville for women: Look for the Speedway gas station in Nashville. There’s a traffic light there. Take 46 East for THREE MILES from that traffic light. You’ll know that you’re going in the right direction if you see a McDonalds on the right as you start off. You’ll pass the North park entrance on your right, and a Shell gas station on your left. About a half a mile past the Shell station, you’ll need to turn right (which is South) onto State Road 135. If you see the Antique Mall on your left, you’ve gone too far on State Road 46. Look at your odometer and note the mileage as you turn south on State Road 135. You’ll need to stay on 135 South for TEN MORE MILES. It will be very curvy, and you will think you’re lost. Persevere. About five miles after that turn, you’ll get to an intersection (called “Stone Head” after a peculiar monument). Don’t fret. You’ll notice that 135 goes to the right. Stay on that. There will be a couple of signs to Story around there to help guide you. When you’re about two miles from Story, you’ll see Spears Pottery Gallery on your right. It’s a great place to shop. Hang in there, and watch for the deer and horse trailers!
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child
Next