Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Red Pepper Sichuan Banquet offline Nov. 7: Sign on here

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:39 am

Steve Shade wrote:I also have marked down the 8 pm time.

Please advise.

Language barrier problem here. We figured out that she said 8 the first time we talked to her, 7 the second time.

Mary has a call out to her. We'll get it sorted out ASAP.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks. Either time is ok. Just need to know.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

HollyR

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

by HollyR » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:49 am

Yay, we're in! (Holly Rudolph and Jim Ghrist) Jim worked the morning show this a.m. so I may have to shake him awake a few times, but we're looking forward to it. Thanks!
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Sorry guys... been a hectic week. I'd like to confirm for 2.

Thanks
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Starting time is indeed 8 p.m.!

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:01 pm

The 7 p.m. notice was a glitch. They recommended the later start time so as not to conflict with their busy Friday night. Dinner starts at 8, but HotByters are welcome to show up early and get a drink (beer/wine) in the bar if they like.

Mary and I will try to get there a few minutes before 8, but probably not before 7:45.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Thank you, Robin, for organizing a wonderful evening. The meal was fit for royalty. I couldn't choose a favorite, although I did narrow it down to the first beef and the last duck. You have sold me on the Red Pepper. Again, thank you.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:55 am

It was a great event, with a final total of 31 revelers, and we had no problem squeezing in the slight excess. I didn't hear anyone complaining about anything, and the dinner was GREAT, although the "fish stomach" might have been just a little much for most of us ... ;)

Later today, when I get my eyes open, I'll post a very rough transcription of my notes and ask everyone who was there to add comments and opinions, so we'll make the final report (which I also expect to have in LEO later this month) be a real community project.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:05 am

Robin Garr wrote: the dinner was GREAT, although the "fish stomach" might have been just a little much for most of us ... ;) .

If,by most of us, you mean my hubby...he only named it, he didn't really enjoy it.....

IMHO, the dishes came so fast and furious, (as did the Tsing Taos) that they are all running together - I'm so glad you took notes and photos! However, the one that does stick out in my mind was that first dish of "spicy beef" with sesame that had the orange note. Such a rich depth of flavor, and just the kick of heat on the end. I could have some of that for breakfast this morning!

Thanks to Robin for organizing such a fantastic foodie experience!

Melissa
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am

Melissa Richards wrote:Thanks to Robin for organizing such a fantastic foodie experience!

The amazing thing about this offline is that it just about organized itself! No work involved! And Mary deserves the credit for such organizing as there was, as she did most of the talking with Yuan Hua (the hostess) and made the arrangements.
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:52 am

That was such a fun night, Thank you Mary and robin and everyone else.

Mary you must play a mean game of charades, without an interpreter, everything went smooth as can be.

It was nice to meet everyone too. Thank you Tom for arranging every dish with a bit of flair for the photo ops.
And since we didn't have actual names of dishes, the colorful dishes you coined. Thank you Mellisa for keeping him in check ;)

I think the only thing I wouldn't repeat would be the fish stomach aka "Chitlins of the sea" as Tom would say and I think we all agreed at the table. Everything else was amazing in it's own way.

All in all I felt like it had a great opportunity to taste the real deal.

If it is possible to get the names or translations of the dinner that would be cool.

Thanks, let's do it again
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:23 pm

christopher stockton wrote:If it is possible to get the names or translations of the dinner that would be cool.

I'm sure going to try! Mary and I may sneak over there early in the week and see if we can get Yuan Hua or Bill Wang to point out the specific items on the menu for us. Then if I'm really feeling creative, I'll also try to work out the characters from my Cantonese dictionary and see what the literal Chinese names are.

Thanks, let's do it again

We've been having a lot of really good forum "offlines" lately! We can do things like this as often as you guys want to ... it's just a matter of throwing out an idea and then getting a critical mass of folks who want to go. :)
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by christopher stockton » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:08 pm

It would be nice if we could do a lunch at Jennicas before they close and definately a dinner at the Mayan Cafe.

I noticed someone else mentioned doing an offline on E Market on another thread.. E Market Hotbytes Hop?
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:48 pm

It was a really fine evening, I must say. And it was good to spend time with all my forum friends and to make new ones.
Holly and Jim- I wish we could have chatted more but the sea of duck and fish maw between us made that a bit dificult.

Speaking of fish maw- I'm so glad that was included so that I can say I've tried it and never have to try it again. But it was the only dish I didn't enjoy out of the cornucopia offered so how could I complain?

I look forward to seeing pix when they are posted.

Thank you again for all the logistical work, Mary- both in setting it up and then in playing banker at the end.

See you all next time.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Mr. Garr.........Paging Mr. Garr............

Pictures? Write-up? Ruler to slap me across the knuckles????????
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Mr. Garr.........Paging Mr. Garr............

Pictures? Write-up? Ruler to slap me across the knuckles????????

Good question! I need to write up a summary by tomorrow for next week's LEO, and I've been so busy that I haven't started yet. I need some help! I think I'll start a new thread.
Previous