Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

French Lick/West Baden

no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

French Lick/West Baden

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:06 pm

My wife and I are staying at the West Baden Springs next weekend. Has anyone eaten at the restaurant there or at French Lick? Any recommendations for good dining in the general area?

I've heard the restaurant at West Baden is pretty good. We ate at the steakhouse at French Lick a few years ago, before the renovations, and weren't impressed.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: French Lick/West Baden

by C. Devlin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Gary and I had a really good dinner at the West Baden restaurant about a year ago. I suppose I should be able to recount it in detail, but I can't remember what we had, only that we were very pleasantly surprised. At the time, they were buying their breads from Scholar's Inn in Bloomington (don't know whether they continue to today), and we thought it the best bread in the area.... Um, how to say this politely.... Although the individual breads were different in their composition in terms of additions (olives, etc.), the bread was so like my own I'm tempted to go to their shop in Bloomington just to meet the baker who came up with the formula.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Beechwood Inn across the street used to be great, but not sure.

I second the West Baden Restaurant - i had a great meal at the Chefs table. Even if you don't eat there have them show you the chefs table room.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Kurt R. wrote:Beechwood Inn across the street used to be great, but not sure.

I second the West Baden Restaurant - i had a great meal at the Chefs table. Even if you don't eat there have them show you the chefs table room.

A colleague actually recommended the Beachwood this afternoon, so I went ahead and made a reservation. Thanks.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Take a short drive (20-25 minutes) to Jasper, IN and eat at the Schnitzelbank. They have some of the best German, German/American food in the area.

http://www.schnitzelbank.com/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:41 pm

One of my business partners was at West Baden a month or so ago and said the service at the restaurant was unbelievably poor. I think if you are prepared for the service "oddness" you will have a great time - food is said to be excellent and the building is spectacular.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Take a short drive (20-25 minutes) to Jasper, IN and eat at the Schnitzelbank. They have some of the best German, German/American food in the area.

http://www.schnitzelbank.com/

A total winner. I've been going there since the late 80's. One of the truly unknown jewels in the broader Ville metro area.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

TP Lowe wrote:One of my business partners was at West Baden a month or so ago and said the service at the restaurant was unbelievably poor. I think if you are prepared for the service "oddness" you will have a great time - food is said to be excellent and the building is spectacular.

I wonder whether that's typical. Or whether ours was. Maybe it's simply sporadic. We were really pleased with the whole experience. The wait staff were very pleasant and perfectly attentive and helpful.