Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Trip To Louisville This Saturday

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Mark A. wrote:For moderately priced places, you cannot beat "Uptown Cafe". Great food, great service (make sure to ask for Laura, Chin, or Ellen) and the best bang for your buck in town. An honest pour at the bar too ! Corner of Bardstown Road and Duker on the south end of "restaurant row". Enjoy your trip.

Also - Uptown shares a dessert kitchen with its much-more expensive and upcale neighbor Cafe Metro (also a great dining experience).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:i'm gonna say Varanese
might be my new favorite "go to" place in the 'ville

Second this, and the prices are noticably lower than similarly situated restaurants.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:58 pm

My final weigh in here - you absolutely cannot come to Louisville without eating at Jack Fry's. It is a must. Make reservations at least a few days in advance, though. Their location will also give you a good sense of the Bardstown Road/Baxter Avenue scene, and you can always take a stroll through the Highlands before or after dinner, which is a beautiful area in the fall.

Third on Seviche. If the weather is nice, the patio at Avalon is always a great time.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 pm

By the way, please let us know where you ate and what you thought about it it to your trip!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm

I agree with Proof on Main. If it is not your choice for dinner just stop by for a drink and (free) stroll through the museum. Saffrons, North End, and Mayan Cafe are all close to your hotel. I just spoke to some friends that spoke highly of Red Star Tavern at 4th Street Live if that is your kind of thing.

Away from town I would suggest Havana Rumba(Cuban) and Mojito(Spanish).

Both have excellent ethnic food and great prices.

In the same area as Havana Rumba are Cafe Lou Lou, Equus, Del Friscos, 60 West Martini Bar (1/2 off on Sat.) and the BBC (Kentucky Beer) can't get anymore local.

http://www.myhavanarumba.com/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Breakfast: "North End Cafe" or "Lynn's Paradise Cafe"

Lunch: "Stevens & Stevens" or "Bristol Bar & Grille"

Dinner: "Havana Rumba" or "Vietnamese Kitchen"
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Patrick McB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am

by Patrick McB » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Since you are in Louisville for such a short time and there are so many good choices, you may want to consider a "progressive" dinner. I sometimes do this with friends for special occasion dinners. You could easily combine tapas and wine at De La Torres, dinner at the Uptown and desert at Cafe Metro - all within one block on Bardstown Rd. Or, head north from De La Torres for dinner at Seviche and desert at the gelato place on the corner of Bardstown and EAstern Parkway. Or, walk a bit farther north for dinner at Palermo Viejo. A more upscale alternative would be to combine Lilly's, Jack Fry's and Avalon (in any order)! Similar "progressive" opportunities downtown might include a drink and appetizer at the Galt House (glass pavillion or on 29th floor RiverVue) and then a short walk to Proof (expensive) or the Bristol (both west on Main St). And, Frankfort Ave provides lots of opportunities to combine a few places without too much walking between stops. Hope you enjoy Louisville.
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

by Karen H » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 pm

"desert at the gelato place on the corner of Bardstown and EAstern Parkway" by Patrick McB on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Ok I need to know what gelato place is at the corner of Bardstown Road & Eastern Parkway. I love Gilberto Gelato but we don't get there very often since it is pretty far for us to go from E-town, Bardstown Road would be much more managable.

While I'm responding I will cast my vote for Cafe Lou Lou and make sure you get the Chocolate Souffle Cake. :D
no avatar
User

Mark M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

by Mark M » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Man am I glad I posted here. This is amazing.

I'm going to have to plan another trip!

Mark
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Or just move here! :lol: We've got lots more places that haven't even been mentioned yet.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Lord, the hubby and I need to make a trip to Cafe LouLou. Craving some of Marsha's decadent desserts!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Lord, the hubby and I need to make a trip to Cafe LouLou. Craving some of Marsha's decadent desserts!

Michelle - let me know when you're coming and I'll make you something special!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Nancy Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 am

by Nancy Nelson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 pm

NorthEnd........Breakfast BlueDog.......Lunch Varanese........Dinner.....Yum!!!!
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:01 pm

I just tried Blue Dog for lunch for the first time yesterday. I got the salmon sandwich. I think it was the most amazing sandwich I've ever tried. I'll definitely be back for that one.
no avatar
User

Mark M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

by Mark M » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Hey there all,

Had a marvelous time in Louisville, even though the actual time spent there was far too short.

Arrived around 3:30, checked into the Hotel and headed for Bardstown Road. Had an awesome late lunch at Uptown Cafe. That pretty much filled us up for quite some time. When we finally did go out for dinner we went to Cafe Lou Lou. Great atmosphere, tremendous food and one of the best desserts I've ever eaten.

Marsha, your pumpkin cake was worth the 4 hour trip alone. Truly incredible.

Breakfast today at Lynn's was fun and certainly filling enough to hold us over for most if the remainder of the day.

We had stellar service by Sara(h?) at Uptown (even though she was the only person handling all of the outside tables since other staff had already gone home) and Seth at Cafe Lou Lou (it's wonderful to see someone so passionate and prideful in their work). The cool thing about everywhere we went was the friendly outgoing service. Again, a rarity.

Thanks so very much for helping make our quick trip so much more enjoyable. We will definitely be back to sample some of the other restaurants we did not have time to visit!

Mark
PreviousNext