Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Trip To Louisville This Saturday

by Mark M » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm

My wife and I and another couple will be traveling to Louisville from just outside Chicago for the first time this Saturday. We'll arrive in the afternoon and leave around noon on Sunday, so we won't have much time to take in much of the city.

The web site is fantastic with regard to the number of restaurants and the in-depth reviews; I'm finding it hard with, however, to get through all of the reviews let alone choose from the list. Do you mind recommending a few places that we might enjoy? All of us love food, but we're not foodies (not that there's anything wrong with that). When we travel together we normally go to moderately priced places, but we have no problem at all spending more if it means our visit will be that much more enjoyable. We absolutely love authentic regional cooking, but we're open to just about anything you might suggest, with any and all ethnic possibilities thrown into the mix.

Thanks so very much in advance for your help. I truly appreciate it!

Mark
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Trip To Louisville This Saturday

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 pm

For a really nice ethnic experience, I would recommend Saffron's. I've always had a great time dining there and the owner, Majid, is one of the most gracious hosts in the Ville. It's as if you're dining in his home when you're there. Be aware their Saturday hours are 5pm-10pm. Dinner only.

Here is a link for you to peruse. I noticed they have even added a video to their website. http://www.saffronsrestaurant.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm

For something pretty unique, I'd suggest Mayan Cafe. We own a B&B and sends lots of our guests there and always hear rave reviews.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Mark, I'm the pastry chef at Cafe Lou Lou, and I don't mind saying it's a good fit for people of all sorts of different appetites (click link for website with menu).

Pizza, pasta, Mediterranean food, great desserts, house-made soups, a great beer and wine list, plus a full bar. What part of town are you staying in? Our part of town is called "St. Matthews"...
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

by Mark A. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:34 pm

For moderately priced places, you cannot beat "Uptown Cafe". Great food, great service (make sure to ask for Laura, Chin, or Ellen) and the best bang for your buck in town. An honest pour at the bar too ! Corner of Bardstown Road and Duker on the south end of "restaurant row". Enjoy your trip.
no avatar
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

by Brian Taylor Clark » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I would definitely recommend Seviche on Bardstown Rd. The menu is thoughtful and diverse offering something for virtually everyone. Seviches, excellent seafood entrees and my favorite the skirt steak with chimichurri. This would also give you a chance to stroll around before or after your dinner and people watch down Bardstown Rd. Even better is to walk down a block away and grab a great cup of coffee at Heine Bros. on the corner of Bardstown and Eastern Pkwy after dinner. I always like when going out of town to park the car in one place and be in walking distance to many varying things to do. Every out of towner I've hosted has loved spending time in this area of the Highlands. Just my two pesos...
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm

i'm gonna say Varanese
might be my new favorite "go to" place in the 'ville
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 pm

I'll second Seviche, as well. LOVE skirt steak-with-chimichurri.

Ye gods, now I want it again. It's a mental problem, with me. I'll look at the menu, decide on something great, and when my mouth opens, it says "I'll have the churrascos" and I am NOT in control any longer. The mouth orders what the mouth wants.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Wherever they go, it will be a great experience for them. Enjoy your visit to the Ville and please let us know where you decided to visit and how it all went down.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:18 pm

Seviche and Cafe Lou Lou are always at the top of my list. To get a feel for Louisville though I would recommend the following:
Corbett's and American Place - IMO the best restaurant in Louisville
Limestone Grill - New Southern Cuisine, I doubt you will find it's equal in Chicago
Jack Fry's - Shrimp and Grits are my favorite and again New Southern Cuisine with old world charm
Porcini - I don't know exactly how to describe it, maybe Northern Italian but much more contemporary and innovative

For a Unique Breakfast experience go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe
My personal favorite for Breakfast is North End Cafe
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Kurt R. wrote:My personal favorite for Breakfast is North End Cafe

Right on.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Mark, we all can make many suggestions and every one will be an excellent choice. If you tell us what part of town you're staying in and what type of food interests you we can give you better suggestions. Louisville has a very diverse dining scene and almost any tastes can be met.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mark M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:38 pm

by Mark M » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

One of our friends is affiliated with Marriott, so all I know is that we'll be at a Residence Inn downtown. Don't mind driving at all, though, as necessary.

These responses are awesome. Can't wait to see what else might come in over the next day or two! :)

Thanks so much for the help,
Mark
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:08 am

I'll definitely have to agree with the recommendation for North End Cafe for brunch on Sunday (try the trout hash). For dinner Proof on Main would be a great choice if you're looking for something high end and unique. You can travel out Bardstown road to Serviche, Uptown or Club Gratto all of which are wonderful choices. Elsewhere in the city you'll find Jack Fry's, Cafe Lou Lou and Limestone all of which are great dining choices. If your preferences or more towards steaks try Jeff Ruby's or Z's Steak House and Oyster Bar. You'll have a hard time making choices because Louisville has such a great local dining scene but I'm sure any of these will provide a wonderful time for your group.

This site has menus for all of these restaurants: Menus of Louisville

You should probably make reservations wherever you decide to go, most of these restaurants use Open Table for online reservation.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:47 am

Another standout unique "ethnic" spot would be Palermo Viejo. Great Argentinian style steaks, pastas and some wonderful cross over Italian influenced South American dishes. I had yet another great meal there just the other night.
Next