Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Local restaurants closing after significant downturns in bus

by JustinHammond » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:03 pm

I found this article on whas11.com.
http://www.whas11.com/justposted/storie ... e923b.html

Local restaurants closing after significant downturns in business

09:41 PM EDT on Monday, October 13, 2008

(WHAS11) - “For sale” signs are not only going up in front of homes, they are now popping up in front of former restaurants.

Watch this story Several local restaurants have had to shut their doors because there just isn’t enough business.

Restaurants already have a thin profit margin - just 2 to 3 percent.

But—the Kentucky Restaurant Association says in the past year the cost for basic supplies has taken the biggest jump in 29 years.

Now more than ever - restaurateurs say if you have a favorite spot you like to eat, support it now before it’s too late.

They were hauling away the beer at Browning’s this morning.

Not only have Browning’s and Park Place closed at Slugger Field, but also Primo’s one block away and its neighboring grocery, Market on Market.

The boom in foot traffic predicted for this part of downtown didn’t happen soon enough.

But restaurants everywhere are feeling the pinch. At the Kentucky Bar-B-Q Co. on Frankfort Avenue, the owners have not paid themselves for a month.

And diners today tell me it’s not just a product of the media scaring people away from dining out. Pocketbooks are shrinking in a struggling economy.

Also closing in the past month, the Rocky’s Italian grill on Westport Road soon to be a Buckhead’s, and the upscale Café Perusa in Jeffersontown.

Despite getting slapped with fuel surcharges by vendors, restaurants have to eat that cost, so as not to drive away customers.

I also spoke by phone today with Papa John’s founder John Schnatter who is bucking the trend with his developing of a new sandwich soup and salad chain—Calistoga’s.

Schnatter’s advice to restaurants is to never sacrifice the quality of your product.

But Schnatter also points out that in tough times, companies like Papa John’s can cut fees and royalties charges for their franchisees. But area mom and pop’s are on their own
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Local restaurants closing after significant downturns in bus

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Joe called me on that story and I tried to calm him. Looks like the editors wanted a headline, though. :(
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm not skeerd! :D

Someone once said, "If it's a recession, I'm not participating."
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 am

JustinHammond wrote:I found this article on whas11.com.
http://www.whas11.com/justposted/storie ... e923b.html

Schnatter’s advice to restaurants is to never sacrifice the quality of your product.

I'm sorry, but I snorted my morning coffee through my nose when I read that. :lol:
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 am

Do as I say, not as I do?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 pm

JustinHammond wrote:But Schnatter also points out that in tough times, companies like Papa John’s can cut fees and royalties charges for their franchisees. But area mom and pop’s are on their own

While they CAN cut fees and royalties, does anybody know if they actually HAVE? There's a big difference between saying can do something and actually doing it. In one case it makes you look good in the other case it actually helps people.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"