Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Saganaki????

no avatar
User

Ryane Norris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am

Saganaki????

by Ryane Norris » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Hello!!!! I moved here about 3 years ago from Northwest Indiana/Chicago. One of my very favorite things about my hometown was all the family owned greek restaurants, where i could get the best flaming cheese appetizer ever, SAGANAKI!!! I've been to many of the greek restaurants here in town and have yet to find one that serves it! Can anyone help me out?? i'm tired for having to drive 250+ miles just to enjoy this cheesy goodness.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Saganaki????

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Ryane, welcome!

Sadly, Greek restaurants have had a hard time making it in Louisville, and I can't think of anyplace that has customarily done saganaki, much less the whole ritual with the swords and "Opa!"

But if you want to approximate the taste with a completely different ethnic spin, do try the Provoleta appetizer at Palermo Viejo. A round of grilled Argentine cheese covered with herbs, browned on the outside and creamy in the middle. It might not be saganaki, but it might fill a similar place in your mind and tummy, without the "Opa!"
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:45 pm

As a former Chicagoan, I can relate. And as far as I'm concerned, saganaki should be reclassified as the fifth major food group. When we visit Chicago, some hard-line foodies we know can't imagine why we'd want to visit Greek Town because it's so "touristy." Well, it's the saganaki stupid. :D
no avatar
User

John Ribar

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:15 pm

by John Ribar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:07 pm

It is not Louisville, however the Trojan Horse in Bloomington Indiana makes a mean saganaki with some other decent greek food. A bit of a way , but as the leaves are turning in Brown County and the craft shows open in Nashville, Gnaw Bone and that SR 46 area it is not much of a side venture to B'Ton.
no avatar
User

Ryane Norris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am

by Ryane Norris » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks for the input guys (even though it makes my tummy sad!!) I forgot all about the Trojan Horse. I have friends in Bloomington so I'll have to stop by for some saganaki next time I'm in town.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:22 am

Didn't Maria Bell move back out to the Fort Knox area with her restaurant Greek Paradise Cafe? I bet she makes it.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am

Bistro One, on the 100 block of Main street in Madison, has it. Nic the owner had the Swiss and Europa restaurants here in town. I believe Nic said he was from Cyprus.
David O.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 am

David O. wrote:Bistro One, on the 100 block of Main street in Madison, has it. Nic the owner had the Swiss and Europa restaurants here in town. I believe Nic said he was from Cyprus.

Would that be the same Nic that had Nic's Restaurant on Blankenbaker? If it is, I'm so on the way to Madison ....
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

by Gary Michael » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm

While it is fun to do saganake with all the opa! hoopla in a Greek restaurant, it ain't rocket science. Get a slab of kefalotori or similar Greek cheese at Krogers, slice off a 3/4 inch slab, press into bread crumbs to each side and fry in fairly hot olive oil. Serve in a very hot dish ( I use a lasagna boat)
and flambe with Metaxa 4-star brandy. Extinguish the fire with a squeeze of lemon wedge(s) and enjoy with hot bread. Works for me. Spirited dancing and plate-smashing optional.
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 pm

I was talking to Dave of KY BBQ Co. last night. He mentioned that this coming Wednesday will be Greek night, and he will be serving a saganaki appetizer.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com